Welcome to the new chat room

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
techman
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new chat room

Post by techman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:20 pm

dwehner wrote:Would you be able to put solar panels on roof of "tiny house on wheels"?
I have to build a platform to hold solar panels on the roof of the tiny house. For now they are leaning against the old RV facing south.

I am waiting for the melt so I can get my wood out and start building again. Everything is under snow right now.

george house

Post by george house » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:07 pm

troy, as me and some others, don't put them so high as not to be able to broom them off, been there done that, yuk, i think if they the ones out yonder, later put them on a pedestal, strong enough for the winds, so that you can turn them many times in the day to the sun, you could design something good. really windy now and the temps have gone down also.

george house

Post by george house » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:26 pm

that poor doc, is nuts, yes i watchas little as i can, he is obsessed with you, all he is doing is talking about you. i don't know why but don't watch if you like sanity. doc is crazy, have you seen his sht stuff, makes me mad, how any sane person could. you have won if there was a game, lol.

george house

Post by george house » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:32 am

yes, mounting them and waiting for the winds, you must think of what happened before, lots of luck. good show the last one. when the panels are pulling the amps in you can play with the amps, put them where needed most. i would suggest that in the better weather think of making a stand for all the panels to turn to the sun, heck manually is not bad and strong enough against the winds you get, what date was the last vid i saw, recent, i am at -10c here, i am canadian, we know if a - then it is below freezing . the f scale i can adapt since i remember that f scale. we are c scale

keep safe

joe

Post by joe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 pm

(fyi) Troy;
The spare camper has batteries and the evening you were without power from that days event you learned the windmill drained your forklift batteries you would have these to fall back on.
Be Well
joe

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Sadly the batteries in the RV are sulfated. Its the ones I got from the store that never performed well. I am desulfating them right now.

But I do have a jump starter pack with an 18 Ah battery that I use to power my laptop when needed.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:09 pm

george house wrote:yes, mounting them and waiting for the winds, you must think of what happened before, lots of luck. good show the last one. when the panels are pulling the amps in you can play with the amps, put them where needed most. i would suggest that in the better weather think of making a stand for all the panels to turn to the sun, heck manually is not bad and strong enough against the winds you get, what date was the last vid i saw, recent, i am at -10c here, i am canadian, we know if a - then it is below freezing . the f scale i can adapt since i remember that f scale. we are c scale

keep safe

I plan to mount the solar panels on the roof of the tiny house in spring, on an overhang which will block summer sun from entering the house and heating it up.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:10 pm

I forgot to add that the overhang will be on an actuator so I can angle it as needed.

george house

Post by george house » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 am

hello, yes we sent the jet stream to you, lol. for some reason when i watch most you tube stuff, i can not comment. so here it is, good show on your 17th, i don't understand that the battery was 12.4 after so much going into. temp low i would think would not matter that much, and truck, if the machanics did the transmission stuff, why not do a look around and report potential things to take a care about. today should be a good solar day, ha -13 and full sun, my solar is doing great, i don't use it but i could. generally the inverter would turn off if the battery voltage goes less than 10.5 i think and it has not done so.

i had modified inverters up to 2000 watts, the ac voltage on my cheap metter showed 70 volts. now when it was on sale at canadian tire, i got a pure sine wave one, and the voltage is 120 and that is great.

when my neighbour is snow blowing it hits my solar panels, 120 watts from canadian tire on sale, lol, but after seeing it covered with snow, i sprayed silicone on it, so far so good, have a good solar today the 20th.

george house

Post by george house » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:03 pm

****** look into the comments for stuff about you troy, think if it is bad.