Welcome to the new chat room

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
techman
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new chat room

Post by techman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:08 am

Full retail price for solar panels is up to $10 per watt. Better is around $3 per watt but you can find solar panels for even less at http://www.sunelec.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The shipping though is insane on solar panels. Watch local classified ads for used or discounted solar panels. They still work well. After 20 years they still put out about 80 percent of their rated capacity.

Do not worry about what is best. When you buy the full sized larger solar panels most are polycrystalline anyway. They are fine.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:29 pm

you never gonna believe this Troy! 8-)

I'm recently became a morningstar solar dealer here in Holland! 8-)

i was impressed by the working of your MPPT morningstar Solar charger, there was only one dealer here in Holland , contacted Morningstar in the US , they gave me the info, and connected me to the inporter here in holland, from now on i do not only sell Victron, but also Morningstar! :lol: small world these days! ;) :mrgreen:
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 am

That is cool. Hope you do well. Morningstar is a very good company with high quality products. I love my MPPT solar charge controller.

rpackman

Tiny Home

Post by rpackman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Troy I forgot if you were going to put a shower in your Tiny Home. If you are it is best to put it in the area you are going to have it before you put up the outside wall. Also you were deciding how to swing the bathroom door. Don't forget about pocket doors, they are out of the way when open.As for your kitchen cabinets, you can build them you may not have the knowledge now, but from watching you the last year you have the skill. Get some books from the library. I built my housde up in the woods by doing a lot of reading. And I built a 2200 sq. foot house. good luck.
Rick

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:39 am

Thank you very much. I plan to put in a full bathtub with shower. I like to have my options for relaxing if I ever get enough water here.

I have also thought about the size of the tub and how I would get it in. Yes you have to build it into the house I guess. A bathtub is too wide to even fit through a standard doorway. Not sure how people replace their tubs.

I thought about sliding doors but they are expensive and I will make my own bathroom door with insulation inside. I hate hearing bathroom noises outside the bathroom. I will build a 2 inch thick wall around the bathroom and insulate that as well for sound proofing. And it will have its own window to let out steam and get fresh air.

I will build my own cabinets. I am studying them right now actually. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I think I can do it. I will use the same design they use in RVs and campers. 1x2 and 2x2 framing and thin wood covering. I will make my own doors with 1x2 boards and a router. I think its going to be beautiful.

Can you share some photos of your own house?

rpackman

Post by rpackman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Fridge. The problem you are having sounds like Dad had a few years back. The cold is made up in the freezer and a fan sends some of it down to the fridge. That is were the controles for the compressor are. If the fan stops working the fridge does not get cold and the compressor keep runing. they put a new fan in Dads and it worked fine then. If you can find the little fan maybe you can get it working.
RICK

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:44 pm

That is the normal way they work but this one is sealed up solid. No fans and now flow between the freezer and fridge. I gave up on it and put it up for sale. It works fine but not for solar in a hot enviroment

CopperPaste

Post by CopperPaste » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Put salt in the drinking water when you are working under the scorching sun.Salt must be so little that it does not have a strong flavor.You need to learn how to use salt.If you drink too much salt,will not feel so good.Do not use salt when you rest.The use of salt may increase the need to urinate.Do not say that salt is unhealthy,without salt your body will not be effective.

NannerAirCraft

Post by NannerAirCraft » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:51 pm

Can I post any of my own youtube videos in this forum?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 am

NannerAirCraft wrote:Can I post any of my own youtube videos in this forum?

Only if they pertain to the subject at hand and please do not get carried away. I just have to be careful that I dont get spammed. Hope you understand.