Welcome to the new chat room

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
Petert2k2

Re: Welcome to the new chat room

Post by Petert2k2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Troy,
You should know I've watched almost every vid you've made because the whole " off grid " subject fascinates me. But the last vid I watched ...frankly upset me some because all you did was gripe about your health! My friend, I live on the north east coast of England and the weather can be brutal here. I've also travelled the world many times both as a tourist and as a working man. You've mentioned many times that your ex military well so am I. Your videos are on the whole very good Troy but please stop the self indulgence as regards to your bug bites and as we say here...man up!

Alscompute

Post by Alscompute » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Hello Troy!
Enjoy your channel. Watching the first 50 vids 2013- so it will be a bit till I'm up to speed. Hope all is well.
Take care,
Al

HCinMaine

Post by HCinMaine » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Troy and All others guests (pleaseJoin) and registered friends...

Hi I am Harold C in Maine...
My wife is Anisa and our two dogs.. aka ... we live in a 150+yr old house on the "Downeast coast of Maine.
I married a local Maine woman in 2009 and we bought the house I am in now in at the end of August 2010.
We have had hard times no-heat, no-water, electric failures, and still have a leaky roof. I have a huge hole in our old basement wall where we ran a new line up from the dug well when we had our replacement septic system put in.
The two of us know what it is like to be tossed on the --not-needed-anymore-heap-- and finding that so many tossed away things can be reused or utilized or simply as the new term is ... Re-Purposed...
I too like Troy am prior military... ( I served 16+ years as a navy bubblehead ... got out to be a single parent .... then came back and finished up in the Maine Army National Guard... I medically retired in Sept, 2011 and have since been working on making our homestead self-sufficient and doing it on a budget is a big challenge...
Troy, I also have experience in renovating Travel Trailers....
My wife and I took her 96yr old step-father on his final road trip with a 1993 Salem 24FB (28ft) bumper pull.. he bought it in sept 2011 we worked on the trailer for 11 weeks had to re-do the floor in the kitchen fix waterheater and try to fix fridge... also... replumb with -pex- and CPV- DWV lines raised the bed for more storage.
we got on the road on Pearl-Harbor Day 12-07-2011.. we towed it with a 2000 GMC Jimmy with beefed up suspension and a tranny cooler.. We Spent Christmas 2011 in the Seneca SC area recovering from a bent frame (propane tanks-were pushed into the front-bulkhead) ... more on the story later... we had several breakdowns on the trip too.....
Will respond later wife is making Grill Cheese with Tomato Soup... It is Blowing Snow on 3-26-2014 and cold out...
Final Line... I believe we are all here for a purpose and we all have intrinsic value and we all have a commitment to something...
My Commitments are to my Creator, my family, my country....

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:38 am

Wow, so you got hit by that snow storm. I got lucky and only got a few flurries.

Sounds like you have quite a few valuable skills. I look forward to hearing more from you about your experiences in future posts.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:30 pm

:!:
Last edited by SurplusSupply on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi! I'm a new member here, but I have been watching Troy's youtube channel for a long time. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

bones

Post by bones » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 am

first off want to say thanks to troy for help me with some ? i had i came acrossed his channel cause i was looking for ways to power my camper with battery power iwas looking in to making a wind turbin or solar watched alot then came acrossed a guy standing in the snow talking about live in his camper and solar power so i started watching and was intrigued i been slowly remodeling my camper and ive coming to an end point finally i was tent camper backpacker all this time but reason i got this camper cuz seem last few years weather made were i dont go as much cuz be stuck in tent with kids is not my type of fun lol and i wanted a bug out struture so thanks for inviting me to ur family and im bonez2020 on youtube

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:28 am

SurplusSupply wrote:Hi! I'm a new member here, but I have been watching Troy's youtube channel for a long time. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.
Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you here. Please feel free to share your own experience or ask questions as well.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:30 am

bones wrote:first off want to say thanks to troy for help me with some ? i had i came acrossed his channel cause i was looking for ways to power my camper with battery power iwas looking in to making a wind turbin or solar watched alot then came acrossed a guy standing in the snow talking about live in his camper and solar power so i started watching and was intrigued i been slowly remodeling my camper and ive coming to an end point finally i was tent camper backpacker all this time but reason i got this camper cuz seem last few years weather made were i dont go as much cuz be stuck in tent with kids is not my type of fun lol and i wanted a bug out struture so thanks for inviting me to ur family and im bonez2020 on youtube
Hi bones. Happy to have you on board. And I am happy to hear that I can be of service to you.

Please feel free to ask any questions here and also share your experiences and photos of your own project as you go. The proper category for your camper would be under the camper or solar category on the forum.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing more of your camper.

jdpsmith

Post by jdpsmith » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 pm

What is a good price of a solar panel? and I see that there is a couple different kinds of panels. How do I know what kind to buy?