Welcome to the new chat room

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
dduckw0rth

Re: Welcome to the new chat room

Post by dduckw0rth » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Excellent website and YouTube channel Troy. Thanks for all the hard work and sharing the knowledge and experiences. It's been disappointing to see the behavior of certain folks on Youtube. Keep the faith and keep the dream alive.

Google+ sucks. Nuff said. This forum is better than no commenting at all. Suggestion if this forum ever becomes the more permanent place for YT commenting:
-A dedicated Youtube channel forum section with icon
-Sticky or thread for each video title to separate/organize comments
-The video embedded in the first post of each specific thread (or use another video service)
-Highly visible link to the thread on each YT video "Click Here to Read/Post Comments"
Bonus... the forum method sticks it to Google/YouTube for their Google+ nonsense

At the risk of off topic for this thread, in the future maybe I can contribute a DIY write-up for the solar generator I'm building. It's slow due to funds but so far got 4x MX Solar panels, inverter, LiFeMnPO4 battery (unusual considering most systems use lead acid) and some other electrical components. Next on the list is a Midnight or Outback charge controller, aluminum angle framing, data logger, meters, the breakers etc. One day I hope to buy a property and build an off grid residence. One step at a time :)

MotherLodeBeth

Post by MotherLodeBeth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 am

Its been a week since Troy posted a YouTube video. Hope he is ok.....

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:35 am

Glad to see he's fine , he just posted a new video hiking around in the woods over there.(bush) ;)
it has taken some tyme indeed, he was lost on you tube for a day or 6! :shock:
i started to get a bit worry'd, athough the motto down under is no worry's mate, stil was worry'd, :roll: first thing i do every day is watching you tube for the offgrid video's of Troy!, good to see he's having good times over there, beginning to mis his home video's on the ofgrid homestead tho! :lol:

also i Want to use this opportunity to wish everybode here a happy new year! :D

grts Richard
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 am

MotherLodeBeth wrote:Its been a week since Troy posted a YouTube video. Hope he is ok.....
he's just placed a new video on you tube, hiking around in the bush, and prepairing to make a knife with materials he found over there. ;)

twinkle4

Post by twinkle4 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:46 pm

I only recently (i.e. in the last couple of months) came across Troy's You Tube videos and have now caught up on all of them. Fascinating stuff. A real shame that trolls have made it necessary to disable the comments and perhaps impact on the popularity of Troy's uploads. Hope you have all had a terrific holiday season and I wish everyone peace and everything good in 2014. :D

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 pm

RE High heat and Humidity.
Troy it sounds like you came clsoe to a heat stroke.
Might want to do the "Buddy System" have a friend with you until you acclimate..
Australia is not the place to mess around with heat and humidity.
It can kill and it can kill fast.

You also looked really exhausted in the video.
I think you might want to get some Gator Aid or get in to a hot weather drink.
I was at Fort Jackson S.C. I acclimated quickly. But I was younger back then.
I drank lots of there Drink that they suggested to drink and when we hit Cat II and III, well..I followed orders and sat and did nothing but read that "Smart Book". The UCMJ Section was enlightening lol. also attended the "Do not Do this" video sessions.. Really. enlightening those were .

Safety videos were don well too.
At any rate, please take it easy and talk to you friends about what to do there and how to acclimate your self.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:26 am

he looks Tired, and affected by the heat! :roll:

do not forget to drink, and take time for things to do, you are clearly not used to heat! 8-)

glad to see he has had a fun weekend on the water, burned like a lobster LOL! :lol:

dont take any risks Troy! ;)
take youre time , in the heat everything draws more energy!, do not forget to drink and eat! ;) (water is the best!)
take shelter for the sun when needed! :!:

:mrgreen: looks like a summer vacation to me! :lol: ;)

VJJohn

Post by VJJohn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:46 pm

haven wrote:I think you're ruining your channel by not allowing comments.
I think if he posted a link to this chat section here right on the video, it would be easier & simpler to find, & people would join it.

We did our sites just the opposite. All we had was just a chat section, & it eventually grew to have a whole site. Then we posted our pix & videos directly on the site. So we never used u-tube.

Of course we got started on the usenet (newsgroups) in the 1980s, before the internet existed... Off the grid, but a phone line with a usenet connection. We had to go to a computer at work in town to run it at first. Before the internet, there was the usenet. Then when the new fangled internet came around, we had our own chat on the internet, & later our site... years before google, u-tube, & home broadband existed... all on a dialup connection.

We used to yell at people for posting pix over 30kb in size for being bandwidth hogs. Home usenet connections were around 8-16kbs in the 80s. Home internet connections in the mid 1990s were 28kbs for $9.95/mo. I remember thinking when It went up to 35kbs, being amazed at how fast it was. 10 years later 1mbs is a real slow connection. Now 3mbs just barely cuts it at 39.95/mo.

MrCrf450rider

Post by MrCrf450rider » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:59 pm

Troy,Have You checked in with Your Landlord,to make sure everything is ok with the rv,and property?.Freezing temp's back this way,and is going to get colder this weekend.Hope the new chat room keeps the trolls away.Happy New Year !!

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8lXowgUqsM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ok, to keep up on videos I will copy and pasting the links.

I think that was cool and educational.
and something to keep in mind. We will be doing many things when we go in to full survival. There will even be those that will be miners.

just because thingsike war, or major disaster occur there will be those that will mine and smyth.
in fact those trades will be verry important.
if people have cars new smything will take place to keep them running or there will be great technical advances.
there will be those that will mine for precious metals as well.

I am thinking society will be broken down in a moderrn middle ages kind or thing.
there will be those that will make fuels, foods, farmers will be important. there will be the healers and the like.
there will be greedy as well.
What ever occurs we have to be in a mind frame in which we can be flexable, able to defend family.