Welcome to the new chat room

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
techman
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new chat room

Post by techman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:17 pm

I removed the link you gave me. Sorry but I know what is going on there and yes it is horrible.

I would be upset if the neighbor blew snow on my solar panels. Maybe he can blow it the other direction?

The weather coming down from Canada is so cold recently. I cant wait for normal temperatures to return. I am anxiously waiting for the maple syrup season to begin. Should be in a couple weeks if the cold front ever ends.

DesertStormVet

Post by DesertStormVet » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:36 am

Hi everyone! I'm glad I finally found this forum! I've been watching the YouTube videos and have gotten some valuable ideas. I've long been a fan of minimalism and recently became aware of the tiny house movement. I've managed to get my wife on board and am currently in the design and planning stages for my own tiny house. I'd like to say thanks to Troy for documenting the successes and setbacks (there are no failures only setbacks). I for one have learned much and am still catching up on videos! Keep up the great work Troy!

butch langley

Post by butch langley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:42 pm

this is a good community and all things good will grow.thanks troy again for being there to let us in your world.......its been so long its like i'm part of that world.

Trolleycar

Post by Trolleycar » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi Troy
This way you are in control of content.
it is ashame to have to go this route , but when you can no longer keep the trolls at bay then it is the time to implement plan B.
I hope this works so you have peace of mind that you control the content of what goes on your channel.
Good luck .
Trolleycar

Tedzplace

Post by Tedzplace » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm

ahh, much better here :-)

Truth be told, I turned the YouTube comments off (globally via and ABP script) early last year as they are generally a cesspool no matter what one is viewing. Good choice focussing here Troy!

Looking forward to be able to interact much more with the community!

Be well all! :)

swanyut

Post by swanyut » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:08 pm

well its a shame to see it have to come to this point...disgusting that some people can turn a good thing into just a means to harass someone....keep up the good work...and be carefull out in the woods....tonights headline in Stratford Beacon Herald....Man killed by falling tree...53 years old...cutting down tree...hit him...about 20min drive from my home...no details or name yet..just a pic..but im guessing deep snow made it hard for him to move away fast enough

joe

Post by joe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:51 pm

I need to send a Troy an email please provide me with your email address.
first attempt (notice) Urgent

george house

Post by george house » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 pm

i think plan b if it is let it go wild, don't look to get upset, and then it may get more adsence, do you want some of us to click on the x on the top of their comment and report them, will it do any good, have a good night

TinyhouserErik

Post by TinyhouserErik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:08 am

I would think blocking all comments on YT would be desirable, and have instruction on each video on how to get to this site and participate.
I've heard one does not get any ad revenue that way. I think if I went back to making vids, and posted on YT, I would just make it known with each vid. that I would not be replying and to go to my site, like this.

SolarFreak

Post by SolarFreak » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:19 pm

TROY!! Your charge controller has a blocking diode in it so yo dont need to put those blocking diodes on the solar panels they also cut back on almost a volt of power. I use to put them on my Coleman Air Charge Controller because it dont have blocking diode but your modern CC does have one so dont put those on your panels. It will cut back on power by one volt or so you dont need them waste of time and power. Just saying. I had to be told the same thing by my engineer friend.
:o