Help ID this minty smelling plant??

Discussions about wild edible foods. Natural medicinal plants and healthy eating.
secuono

Help ID this minty smelling plant??

Post by secuono » Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 pm

There's a large patch of these plants that grows out in my pasture, area is not mushy wet, but close. Very strong mint scent, really clears up your nose! Stems are square.
There are two types, one that grows red and the other grows green.

I'm pretty darn sure it's in the Peppermint family, but it's not hairy like I keep reading it should be.
I'm wanting to try peppermint plants/oil to get rid of mice, so A) need to know what this plant is and B)then research if it can be used to deter mice.

Reds

techman
Site Admin

Re: Help ID this minty smelling plant??

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi,

Sorry your post got buried in spam. I finally got it all cleaned up. If you still need help identifying this plant, the post is live now.

I am not sure what it is thought. It looks quite a bit like mint. The stems are square and the leaves appear to have hairs on them. The stem looks like they might have tiny hairs?

Colleene

Post by Colleene » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 pm

I found this page I thought might help you out. It gives other parts to read towards the end. It was very interesting if you ask me. Seems you do have mint. Check it out and tell me what you think. http://showmeoz.wordpress.com/2013/05/1 ... -part-one/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:54 am

If it smells like mint. Looks like mint and passes the ID test, then take a leaf and bite a tiny bit. See if it tastes minty. Spit it out and wait 8 hours for any reaction.

Then take a tiny bit and chew it up. Spit it out and wait 8 hours.

Then take a tiny bit, chew it up and swallow it. Wait 8 hours.

If no reaction then you can use it.

just4havinfun

Post by just4havinfun » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:44 pm

You can usually get help identifying a plant from a local nursery or a Cooperative Extension Office.