Food Preservation

Discussions about wild edible foods. Natural medicinal plants and healthy eating.
Wright028

Food Preservation

Post by Wright028 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Troy,
I noticed that you spoke of going over food preservation in a comment on the YouTube side, and it got me thinking and starting a little research on my own. What is needed to get started? I see a lot of things listed on various websites, that appear to be superfluous to the basic process. Most of the sites I've found are also have a sales dept, making me a tad suspicious.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Food Preservation

Post by techman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Wright028 wrote:Troy,
I noticed that you spoke of going over food preservation in a comment on the YouTube side, and it got me thinking and starting a little research on my own. What is needed to get started? I see a lot of things listed on various websites, that appear to be superfluous to the basic process. Most of the sites I've found are also have a sales dept, making me a tad suspicious.
Hi, sorry for the delay. I was flooded with spam posts to wade through.

All you need (if on the grid) is a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer to get started. Those are the basics. Very easy to use as well. I prefer drying food because if you have to bug out it is lighter and easier to carry a lot of food.

If you are off the grid (like me) you can make a solar dryer, which I will be making in the late summer. You can seal food in mason jars for best results when off the grid.

Canning is a whole different story that I will teach in the fall.

If you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask. Thats why I am here.

MotherLodeBeth

Post by MotherLodeBeth » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:44 pm

We have a year round garden, and do the BackToEdenFilm.com method. In winter we have a section that has straw bale walls and a thick tripe clear sheet plastic roof so light can get in but the heat doesn't escape. We grow and preserve most of what we eat. What we do not grow, forage, hunt we buy from local organic CSA and farmers markets.

We dehydrate a lot of food as well as pressure can and hot water bath can food. Vegetable and meats are pressure canned and things like jams, jellies,high acid heirloom tomatoes are hot water bathed. We adhere to the Ball Blue Book for safe canning rules.

We also do a lot of fermented foods, from sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, pickles, kimchi, yogurt. In winter it is very very important that one gets enough nutrient rich calories or one will get sore throats, colds and other nasties.

Its now November and we are already planning the spring garden. Have been gathering up leaves and dumping them on a new area where we want to do more Back To Eden method gardening. The more we grow the more we have to share with others from church and amongst friends and family.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 am

Good stuff. I never, ever in my life planned a garden in the fall.

I have watched Back To Eden and it changed the way I do gardening. Well, it is changing things. It takes time to set things up, especially if you rent land like me.

What are you doing with the leaves? I have a ton of leaves around here, waiting to be used for something.

tazmanddevil67

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:39 pm

A Solar Dehydrator is definately the way to go for large amounts of Vegtables from a garden, But keep in mind figuring out a way to keep the bugs out while dehydrating the food. And using a 12 volt PC fan to circulate the heat evenly.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:59 pm

A solar fan is even better to make it free energy from the sun for food drying

DaneInChina

Post by DaneInChina » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Here's a comment on how to preserve eggs, free range or store bought alike.
I have been following a channel by the name of JoeandZachsurvival for a long time and Joe, the owner of the channel, posted two videos regarding this subject. His channel is PG.
Here are the links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk8c2BX1Lmw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwChhzv3StU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 pm

I have been learning a lot about eggs recently. If you do not wash them, they can store for months on the shelf, with no refrigeration. Quite amazing really.

By the time you get your eggs from the store they are sometimes already 30 days old. They will be quite fresh for another 30 days in your fridge but I have had some last 3 months in the fridge with no problems.