Winter foraging for wild edibles - good survival training

Discussions about wild edible foods. Natural medicinal plants and healthy eating.
techman
Site Admin

Winter foraging for wild edibles - good survival training

Post by techman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am

In mid winter everything is covered in snow in the northern climates. It becomes hard to find wild edible foods. This is the toughest time for animals and many of the weak do not survive.

If you find yourself in the middle of the wilderness, bugging out, in mid winter, you will need to become familiar with wild edible foods that can be found under the snow. Although everything seems brown and dead, there is an abundance of food if you know where to look for it.

Here is an article about finding wild edible foods in mid winter if there is no snow cover:
http://www.thediyworld.com/blog/?p=976
If you are in a colder climate and the ground is free of snow, you may find wild garlic, garlic mustard, strawberry leaves, and even grass can be chewed for nutrition.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Winter foraging for wild edibles - good survival trainin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

Garlic mustard, how to located and identify it, and its food values can be found here:
http://www.thediyworld.com/blog/?p=986

This little wild edible has a sort of natural antifreeze in it that allows it to survive all winter. This is a nice tasting wild edible with lots of nutrition.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 am

If the ground is covered in snow, you can still dig underneath the snow, just as the wild animals do, and find food.
http://www.thediyworld.com/blog/?p=1003

Study your area and natural wild edible foods that can be found nearby. Study all four seasons because you never know when you may need to get head for the hills and flee to safety. Knowing what wild edible foods are available in your area can save your life one day.

Wingnut247

Post by Wingnut247 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Planting/transplanting wild edibles.

Has anyone made a "wild edible garden"?

Instead of continually having to forage... Why not cultivate native wild edibles near your home?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Wingnut247 wrote:Planting/transplanting wild edibles.

Has anyone made a "wild edible garden"?

Instead of continually having to forage... Why not cultivate native wild edibles near your home?

Sort of. I just dont mow them down, hehe. I let them grow when I find something I like to eat.

Tried again and again to keep wild garlic in pots and fail every time. I just eat out of the yard.

You can introduce things you like to your own yard, but leave them alone to grow how they want. Cultivating just seems to kill them. But watch out, they can take over your yard.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:11 pm

My favorite source for wild edible foraging training would have to be the youtube channel "EatTheWeeds" with Green Deane.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 am

I have actually watched a lot of their videos. They are good