Solar + A/C = Atmospheric Water Generator

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
hi_tech_guy_18

Solar + A/C = Atmospheric Water Generator

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:24 am

Your little 500W A/C is Extracting Water from the air a few Bottle worth each and every day
Should be noted the Water Quality isn't Drinkable quality yet but its close

Water Quality
Water from a A/C unit is classed as "Gray water" Yet it still can have a 2nd use to Water Gardens, Wash Cars + Trucks + Campers + RVs with a Little filtration (Sand And Charcoal)to remove the Dust (However Bactria + Germs can be still present - legionellosis)

However With Heavy Filtering (Micron Filters) and the use of UV light and Ozone You can Remove the Dust + Kill the Germs + Bactria + Pathogens and then it will be safe to drink (Blue Water)
  • In the UK We Call are water quality's this:
    > Drinkable Water - Blue Water quality
    > Rain water - Green/Storm Water quality
    > Water From Showers + Baths + A/C + Washing Machines - Gray Water quality
    > Sewage Water - Brown/Soil/Black Water quality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheri ... _generator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few of these Atmospheric water generator systems hit the news recently to combat drought in town Lima, Peru
Put up Billboards with Atmospheric water generators inside to provide 96 litres of free water a day.
- The Billboard Adverting Pays for the Equipment in a very short time + maintenance + Running costs if not solar
> the good news is a few other towns around the world are going with Solar + Wind powered options

hi_tech_guy_18

Re: Solar + A/C = Atmospheric Water Generator

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 am

BBC News: Advert turns air into drinking water
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21899227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I have an idea in the works using a thermoelectric peltier element to make water from the air. Or rather to take the humidity out of the air using this device. The water is pure distilled water and can be used to top off solar battery banks.

I am still looking for the best parts to use and will hopefully one day make it a reality. When done, I will show it on YT and here on the forum.

tazmanddevil67

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 pm

A humidifier will make gallons of water a week.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 pm

I think you meant dehumidifier.

True but what are the energy requirements of the device? Most are 110 volt AC and use a bit of power. For off grid living, I need to reduce my power usage.

I was thinking of a peltier setup which is turned on and off to prevent ice buildup. Maybe on a digital timer to control its on and off periods.

I found a peltier powered device at walmart for just under $100 which uses 12 volts but I think its a constant 75 watts and its not very powerful from reading the reviews.