Solar Panels are not created Equal

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
Solar98632

Solar Panels are not created Equal

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm

I was having difficulties in doing an experiment so I went out to raidio Shack and Purchased a 20.00 4.5 volt panel as they didn't have a 9 volt on available.

What prompted me to do this was trying to figure out why my cells were producing 15 volts (ones from wall mart) I wasn't able to run any thing.

So I got to thinking, boost circuits aren't the issue, the panels them selves have been changed as well. while they are great for charging the lanterns they really suck even when combined to run a motor of any kind.
Not only that, to go from 10v to 0v when a load like a small DC motor was connected was baffling to say the least.

I never had any issues from cells from 3 years ago, heck they powered a computer fan which did cut me and this was when I had 8 lanterns connected with out batteries.

I think the companies must have caught on and started to change chemistry of these cell to make it mo difficult for people to reconfigure for use.

Not only has the Circuits changed in there design, but so has the cells them selves.

It is a little wonder why we are not obtaining a full charge even when normally used as a lantern. I have also noticed on this set of cells I can see day light as with the older ones you can't.
And the one from Radio shack is the same way, can't see day light at all.

So I want to share this info with you guys, as we buy these cheep cells, we will need to keep in mind that the companies know what we are doing and making it more difficult for us to do this kind of thing.

If there is no attempt at prevention, then they really are making things crappier now-a-days. So if your working on a project and it is not doing what you want it to do, it may not be your fault. It maybe that the cells are pure crap and near useless.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Solar Panels are not created Equal

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm

I do not believe that the solar cells themselves are actually lower grade. The technology is getting better.

But, These are very low current solar cells. A solar cell will put out a high No-Load voltage. As soon as you apply any load, the voltage will drop. Even my high end solar panels will do the same.

Another point is that these are very low current solar cells. They put out milliamps of current. Very low output. You would need a bunch of these to run a small motor.

You mentioned using 8 of these a few years back to run a fan motor. Try to run the same fan motor with 8 of the new ones. Should work. I believe the solar cells are fine.

Do not forget, these are designed to produce 200 milliamps per day (AA battery rating). Divided by the 10 hours of day light, that equals maybe 20 mA max output at any given time.

The solar cells actual output rating is probably about 1.5 volts per unit. That would be the "Load" voltage, when you connect a device.

I need to get a small Amp meter myself and start measuring the current output of these things in order to be more precise. My Amp meters are way too high scale to read mA.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I see your point and I think you might be right, so I was partially correct, and partially wrong ..
Well I am upset that I lost my 12 volt panel I had. I am not sure where that went along with my other cells.

The 4 remaining cells That I have from that set are in a CD case some where. I'll have to search fro them
I will try to search fro them. I lost a lot of things when we moved.

So I guess then we need to start classifying types of cells lol.
Now the "Spot Lamps " those cells are more "heavy duty" they have to charge a 2.3 volt battery and that is the one I am using for Charging things and those will charge devices even with out the batteries inserted although that would for day time only.

Perhaps I wonder if I should try to use on the smaller cells a combination of parallel and series.
Oh and here is something strange.
I got a solar torch light, the ones made here in the USA. Those have an interesting panel as well as an interesting boost circut.
Also an interesting 4 yes that is correct 4 Triple A batteries.
But, there is one additional trick they did.

Here is the bunch line while the 4 batteries appear to be in series they are actually a set of 2 batteries in Serries/Parellel these would produce longer run time also longer charge time, any idea on what kind of boost circut that would be? I'll take a picture and pose the batteries and the circuit..there are 2 really high grade pannel in these torch lights and the only reason for its sacrifice is Patrick done did the thing when he was playing with it...MY bad..He broke the light.. I didn't think a kid could break it but he did..The guts in one of these are small but on a massive scale. You really have to see this work of art to bleive what they crammed in to the thing. eh the torch lights sell for about 13 bucks each. Ouch.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 pm

I know what you mean about a move. The mysterious loss of things even though you brought it all with you, it never makes it home. Strange. Like the stupid missing sock at the laundromat. I just lost a good insulated hunting sock. I check the washing machine thoroughly and then the dryer and even look on the floor as I leave to be sure I do not loose anything. Sure enough, get home and I am missing a sock. How?

The solar light with the bigger capacity sounds like it could be used for some nice projects. Please show me some pics.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Charger build.JPG
I hate low numbers in any thing but it is what I have to work with. Removing the batteris Cna give me the ability to charge devices all day. Battery mode, only 30 minutes.nd it wo't ee use the boos circuits when the batteries are dead. It will not do both at the same time . Even tried double tapping, this shut the cell down.
With this I can charge cell phones of any kind almost so as Long as I do not use battery mode. I guess we sacrifice one for the other.
Charger build.JPG (152.27 KiB) Viewed 22847 times
Ok the larger panels I have made into a USB Charger, in this case I am using the batteries to charge the devices..eh one minor detail, I can charge all day any thing, but put the batteries in..only a 30 minute charge at full capacity in the battery banks. I am also going to post a boost circuit that I managed to save from a few years back. Now this is an interesting boost circuit..I think it isn't a boost at all but a charging/ auto on/off circuit I'll post that separately. The energizer is 2,300 MHa

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 am

Ok this is a hard one to find, they no longer build these as far as I know, this was from 3 years ago.
Before the boosters came along or, is it a booster? You decide.
I am planning on "bread boarding with transistor sets from Raidio shack. but leaving all the resistors and diodes the same.
Again this was from 3 years ago in an older solar set. Or was it 4 years ago?
Attachments
hard to find charger circuit.JPG
PS look close and you can get the part numbers and if your really good you can cross reference.
This was from 3 years ago.
hard to find charger circuit.JPG (164.84 KiB) Viewed 22846 times

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 am

If you notice between the 2 posts, the charging/boost circuits have changed in packaging in the last 3- 4 years.
The I.Cs I carreid over from the smaller light sets that had the 1.2 volt cells, the funny thing, they measured the exact same reading..the transistor one, I have yet to test. that was the set of circuits that I lost. all 8 of them. :(

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 am

And this, this is the newest set of chip that are coming in the Spotlights, no wonder they don't have any power. But then again...Hard to say. and many people get hung up on the new stuff, this circuit barely would charge the batteries.
Even in full sun light. Last summer I noticed my one older spot light staying on longer then the newer one, I also noticed that my Christmas lights (where I got the grey battery from in on e of the lights) would stay on longer then this spot light. that tells me something is definitely not working right and has two little power even for its own good. this is why I am not touching my Christmas lights.. well, save to replace the batteries.

Also if an LED set of Christmas lights will remain on for 3 hours on a day that was cloudy and the spot light only stayed on for 30 minutes, eh something was wrong, maybe I got a bad component somewhere?
Attachments
out of the newest spot light.JPG
This is waht I found in 2012 series. Ouch, this is what they mean by "Mystery Chips" Not sure if this is to protect from copying or what?
out of the newest spot light.JPG (64.93 KiB) Viewed 22844 times

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am

Ok these are my best cells I have . If you take a good close look you can see the different designs.
The raidio shack one was 20.00 and produces 4.5 volts and will run a small DC low powered motor (the ones used to open and close CD/DVD tray doors.)
Where as the ones I got from wall mart with the boost circuits save for the spotlights will power very little unless you have 8 panels each .
But, it all depends on what you are planning to do and how much power one needs.

It is a great Idea to recycle the garden lanterns when they malfunction Use there solar cells and have fun with them, there great for charging small items.

I think it is great to continue to investigate in this area, be ready for changes .
You might have to change a few things up might have to improvise.
You definitely need to think out of the box.
And by all means use the boost circuits. You never know what kind of surprise you might get.

Some might be able to afford more expensive items, some may not be able to afford them . the important thing is being creative with what you have, and exercise ones brain. when it comes to DYI, there is no right or wrong way..Unless the wrong way sends a magnet hurling 300 feet into a neighbors window or shocks the dickens out of a poor unsuspecting passer by.
Attachments
my collection.JPG
This is the best of the best of what I have. I didn't include my other cells, there already posted lol.
my collection.JPG (180.37 KiB) Viewed 22843 times

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am

This Cell has issues.
This was from one of the Wall mart Garden Lanterns.
this is the type of cell I was having issues with. this isn't good technology, this is poor designing.
I don't think one is suppose to see light between the cells, well not that much at least, there are "pits" in this cell that isn't dust specs you are seeing, this is Just flat poor craftsmanship.
Look, I know each cell has flaws, but this goes beyond flawed ..At least in my point of view.
let me know what you think though, Poor craftsmanship or poor me for not knowing the flaws in a Cell?
Attachments
badly made Cell.JPG
badly made Cell.JPG (79.31 KiB) Viewed 22843 times