Solar panel question

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
dglsrllr

Solar panel question

Post by dglsrllr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:15 am

I recently had purchased the CMTP02 30 A charge controller to start out with, due to it not having a digital readout I will replace it later on when I can afford to do so. Before finding your YT channel I also purchased (60) 52 X 19 mm solar cells to build a small solar panel. (it was what I could afford) anyways on to my question Is it better to build or buy solar panels? I started watching your channel for the making of solar panels and rarely see your homemade ones anymore (unless I am missing them somewhere)

techman
Site Admin

Re: Solar panel question

Post by techman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:08 pm

I originally built all my own solar panels and wrote a book on how to do it. You can find the book here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/troy-reid/the- ... 56472.html

It might help you with beginners questions anyway because I covered battery basics, solar panel basics, charge controllers and inverters as well.

Since you have the cells go ahead and try your hand at making them. But for now, honestly I dont have time to make my own anymore. I prefer to find them second hand somewhere.

You have to use protective film on both sides of the solar cells to protect them from oxidization. The protect that film from moisture in the air or it will turn brown with time. These are the most important things in making your own solar panels. Just keep it weather proof and tight.

I hope to make some more one day but with the tiny house build, it is not in the near future.

dglsrllr

Post by dglsrllr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks for the reply, I do understand not having time with too much going. I will definitely get the book when I can afford it

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:16 pm

:)