MPPT Charge Controller

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
paxman9270

MPPT Charge Controller

Post by paxman9270 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:49 am

Troy, it's a shame you had charging issues on today's video, (Harbor Freight genny, DC genny, blocking diode) but it's a blessing in disguise. If anyone got past your security to tamper with your wires, you'll know by the alarm setting. Is there a way to set the MPPT Charge Controller to have an AUDIO alarm? Check out your settings, in case something happens at night to wake you. Also...didn't you have a DC buck converter somewhere you could attach to the wind generator's wires at the house, so even if it is bringing in low volts, you can step it up to 15 volts at a lower amperage? If you did have one, it may not be large enough to handle the current at high winds. Just a thought for the future for you to squeak out all the juice that wind generator can give you when you need it. Let me know your thoughts on these issues when/if you have time. Dark is OK, as long as you're toasty warm, unlike last year. TTYL

hi_tech_guy_18

Re: MPPT Charge Controller

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Repost (This comment is on youtube)
Awesome Off Grid Solar Power Then Catastrophic Failure All Around
Published on 17 Feb 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjFoWGVloY4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at 0:45 - 16.3V 694W at 42.7A
at 0:55 - 16.3V 701W at 43.0A
at 4:07 - 15.8V 382W at 24.2A (alarm)
it Looks like the MPPT over voltage the battery and sensed it had a weird amp spike overload due the plates weren't absorbing the amp + voltage spike

You need to be careful with diodes that there max amp rateing meets the highest AMP generating source on your system.
They go into a Reverse meltdown otherwise (add a fuse too blow if the diode fails)

75 Amp 600 Volt Stud Blocking Diode -can resist the full 60Amp output of your MPPT
http://www.amazon.com/Amp-Volt-Stud-Blo ... 004FGPUE6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

110A 1200V Volt Stud Blocking Diode - can resit both the MPPT and some of the battery own Amperage
http://www.amazon.com/IXYS-SEMICONDUCTO ... 00HGYY1M6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paxman9270

Post by paxman9270 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 pm

What are your thoughts on using a DC/DC buck controller to even out the voltage from the wind generator?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:00 pm

There is no audible alarm on my charge controller that I know about. But it is an interesting idea to think about.

Buck and boost inverters are actually part of what make an MPPT charge controller work. But the biggest problem is the cost of them. I find the small 3 amp ones on ebay for a dollar each sometimes.

But anything bigger and you are talking big bucks too. My wind turbine is rated at 350 watts which is about 30 amps under full power.

A buck converter would be good for high voltage and full power output of the wind turbine. It can generate voltages way higher than the battery bank which is just ignored by the battery.

A boost converter is good for low wind situations when the wind turbine is producing low voltage.

I have long considered trying to build my own system