Solar tracker?

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
just4havinfun

Solar tracker?

Post by just4havinfun » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 am

Just curious if you have ever considered a solar tracking setup where your panels could be mounted on a post? I have seen circuits using a small 12 volt actuator rather than a motor to turn the panels.
I know you have shaded areas to contend with. It may be hard to build such a setup without access to a welder.

george house

Re: Solar tracker?

Post by george house » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:43 pm

in summer time, design a mounting system, to put allof the panels on many posts and can turn them by hand to point to the sun when needed, i have seen some that are not that expensive using wood you have on hand

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:51 pm

just4havinfun wrote:Just curious if you have ever considered a solar tracking setup where your panels could be mounted on a post? I have seen circuits using a small 12 volt actuator rather than a motor to turn the panels.
I know you have shaded areas to contend with. It may be hard to build such a setup without access to a welder.

Actually yes I hope to build a solar tracker one day. But the biggest problem I have is the expense of the mounting hardware and a pole for it all. The electronics are easy for me.

I will use standard actuators though off the shelf because I am not that good mechanically.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:52 pm

george house wrote:in summer time, design a mounting system, to put allof the panels on many posts and can turn them by hand to point to the sun when needed, i have seen some that are not that expensive using wood you have on hand

I do plan to mount some solar panels on an overhang over the front top of the tiny house this spring. They will be on a hinged platform and have an actuator to adjust for the seasons.

But as I said above I do hope to one day build a solar tracking system out in the yard for even more full solar power all year.

just4havinfun

Post by just4havinfun » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:42 am

I think the idea of solar panels on an overhang as you described is an even better idea. Especially since you can control the angle with actuators. Your home is positioned perfectly to get all of that sun on the front side. It also allows the use of heavy gauge wire at a much lower cost than running across the meadow.

tazdemon

Post by tazdemon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 am

can use gas to weld

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Dont know why I keep forgetting gas as an option. I guess the cost to get started is what keeps me from actually doing it. An electric welder can be found for about $100 these days.

NazikuKaido

Post by NazikuKaido » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:44 am

just4havinfun wrote:Just curious if you have ever considered a solar tracking setup where your panels could be mounted on a post? I have seen circuits using a small 12 volt actuator rather than a motor to turn the panels.
Yes you could do this but this would be a little unstable and maybe not facing in a direction of perfect radiation. Am I getting your point?

To get rid of the shaded areas, you just have to use some ledge maybe instead of a metal. Or how about wise use of reflectors on the sides of the panels.
I am the best greatest ever
:shock: :? 8-) :twisted: :lol: