Antenna rotor/rotator for your solar panel pole

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
The_Amateur

Antenna rotor/rotator for your solar panel pole

Post by The_Amateur » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

I remember a few videos back, you mentioned that you were going to have a pole for your solar panels and wind mill. What you could do is buy an antenna rotor to have all of the solar panels at once aim towards the sun and track its position throughout the day. The only downside of this is that you can't angle the panels for the higher angle of the sun at noon vs at sunset. Also, every month or so, you could go out and slightly lower/raise the angle of the solar panels for the month of the year. The cost of the rotor I have was $130 or so, but it is supposed to last a very long time. I plan on doing this once I get enough money.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Antenna rotor/rotator for your solar panel pole

Post by techman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 am

I am looking at actually solar panel actuators. Not too expensive but for now out of my budget due to the tiny house project.

I will have a 60 foot high tower soon. I hope to have four wind turbines at the top and place my solar panels down lower, but off the ground.

The_Amateur

Post by The_Amateur » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:48 am

That's actually a much better idea than mine is- I forgot about the actuators. I wish you the best of luck with getting those towers up- too bad I don't I live near there to help you out!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:50 pm

I sure could use the help, thats for sure. Thanks for the thought though.

I currently have an engineer in Canada designing a tower plan using the materials and tools I have on hand for me. He is doing it for free just for fun. That is cool. Now I believe I can make this happen for sure. And it will be safe and sound.