"The Shakes"

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
Solar98632

"The Shakes"

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Does every one get the shakes when they begine up on this path?
Is it normal to ask your self "Am I insane"?
IS it normal to have excitemnt, fear, and one's mind racing?
I am scared, excited, and wondering at what lies ahead as we begin down this road.

techman
Site Admin

Re: "The Shakes"

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 am

I often get up in the morning, look around and ask myself "What am I doing". Even now, two and a half years after going off the grid, I still question myself.

It is a lot of work and a lifestyle change. I am fully off the grid. If you only go solar then its not such a huge life changing event. But I am cut off from all utilities and trying to become self sufficient. This is a huge task and I often wonder if I am in over my head. But then I drink my coffee and jump into the work for the day and leave my doubts and fears behind.

Night in the forest can be scary as well. I was not afraid of the dark until I got animals. Everything wants to eat my chickens and now I sleep lightly and jump at any strange sound in the night, worried that something is attacking.

But for most people, just going off the grid is not as tough.

Then again, when you go solar or use rain water for your water supply you will have to make a lot of changes to your lifestyle.

Nope, you are not alone.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:14 am

True I am saving up for a car too. What if I need to Evacuate? What if I have a real emergency? Yeah, time to get a reliable car. Something like a sabaru.
There sturdy cars and have plenty of cargo space to fit animals ,generator ,and solar panels. Yes and the three of us as well.

Oh... no one mentioned that those wires ....get ...hey when bundled up lo :shock:

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:35 am

Oh and I di know about wild animals..it is a wake up call when a cougar kills and guts a goat. On a neighbors property , cyotes, howling, wolves howling...
One day, we had a pack of wild dogs after the cattle. Dada grabbed the 30.o6 and hit all 3 2 of the 3 fell.3rd..well...it was still running ..with out a heart. So even a seemingly lethal shot may not take effect I can not belie email it made it to 10 feet ..at anyrate.. i know that kind of cear. I see cyotes on the land or hear them..I'll take family indoors. . And cyotes will used a female coyote in heat to try and lure a non neutered male in to the. Pack to kill him.

Yeah, I know what the animal kingdom can do.. God OKs us to. View them..but don't one dare think they have a special gift..cause that is how you get dead. BUT then a gain God's in control of his creation. God made all.the beasts to serve a purpose be it clean up, or population control. We man must respect the rules God gives for these creatures. Yes, they are food, but they are also intelligent and demand respect.

Kind of gives you a fresh look on How God views us as sheep.
That is an interesting view point.

But animals were never meant to be our enemies, man fall from grace is to blame for that.
I am glad that will be remedied when he returns.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Yes a reliable vehicle is important if you ever need to evacuate in a hurry. And it can happen fast as we have often seen on the news.

Animals deserve respect true. I am also looking forward to the day that we can all live in peace again.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 pm

techman wrote:Yes a reliable vehicle is important if you ever need to evacuate in a hurry. And it can happen fast as we have often seen on the news.

Animals deserve respect true. I am also looking forward to the day that we can all live in peace again.

as do I.
I have an idea on the car we migh the get. I am hoping for a subaru.lol.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Hope it turns out to be a good one

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Update: I now have a 400 watt inverter and been running my cable box, modem, Stereo ,and blue ray player. 8 do have a weird thing though. When I plug in my tv, it turns on then flashes off, then back on .

After the second time it stays on. but. that will drain my system. I have concluded I will need to get 2 more solar kits to run every thing in the living room. I am thinking with the TV Issue it is the inverter do I get some smart thinking.

on the off side just for the fun of it. I have managed to operate some Halloween inflatables. you know what I found out...The large inflatables use more power for one sneaky reason.the lights..In them are incandescent. so combine that with the motors and the 2 of them are about 90 watts if not more.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:00 am

Your TV is pulling too much power for the inverter to handle or it pulls the batteries too low. Or the wires between the inverter and the batteries are too thin.

Your problem is one of these