generator conversion

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Hankandtilly

generator conversion

Post by Hankandtilly » Fri May 03, 2013 12:13 pm

this is a crude drawing of how to turn a 120/240 volt generator into a 120 only generator at its total rated watts and not only half because its 240. ill ad more later, i am in the process of Buying a Chinese generator off Kijiji. it will get converted to 120 only and run off wood gas.
what? who, me? no, i wasn't driving a tractor in the city........ :P

techman
Site Admin

Re: generator conversion

Post by techman » Mon May 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Sadly your photo did not show up. Can you post it again and check your post to make sure it show up. Thanks

Hankandtilly

my picture?

Post by Hankandtilly » Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 pm

it showed up for me...any way here is a better version.
am i putting my picture in right? as far as i can figure out my picture has to be on the internet? i put the URL from my picture "Image" ?
here is the pictures ure from my web site it it still does not work.
https://sites.google.com/site/gppenergy ... 0pick1.png

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm

I think I see what you are doing.

This is simply dividing the voltage with a transformer, right?

But what is the switch for?

Hankandtilly

Post by Hankandtilly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 pm

the switch is physically connecting in parallel the two different windings.

phoneguy1212

Post by phoneguy1212 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Sorry my friend but you can't do that. May I suggest a basic electricity class. Those windings you are trying to cut down to two, both produce 240 volts and the windings are phases. A generator is three phase always. So shutting down one phase is not going to give you 110. You'll need a transformer and a current transformer. Just so you know WATTS is current and stands for the rate of speed it travels at. Have a great day.
Jerry

Hankandtilly

Post by Hankandtilly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:39 pm

phoneguy1212 wrote:Sorry my friend but you can't do that. May I suggest a basic electricity class. Those windings you are trying to cut down to two, both produce 240 volts and the windings are phases. A generator is three phase always. So shutting down one phase is not going to give you 110. You'll need a transformer and a current transformer. Just so you know WATTS is current and stands for the rate of speed it travels at. Have a great day.
Who ever said 3 phase?! I HAVE taken a 120/240 volt generator from a big box store and connected the windings in parallel to let me draw the full rated power. Normally when a generator is 120/240 volt you can only draw half of the rated power at 120 volts. You CAN draw the full rated power at 120 volts by doing this! BUT it really messes up stuff, it makes really dirty power, the hz are funny and im sure power factor and that stuff is off as well. It works fine tho for power tools, lights and other stuff that could care less.

I am currently sitting in a trailer at the back of a forest righting this, SO I KNOW THIS WORKS! ( i have lots of filtering between the generator and my computer)
Also, here in a link to a utterpower.com aricle http://www.utterpower.com/synchronous-g ... your-head/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 am

THE WINDINGS HAVE TO BE IN FASE!! if jou just conect them togeter you will short the generator down!!!
mesure the two windings connect two windings together on one side , than mesure between the two windings , iff you mesure 0 volts, you can connect them!, if you mesure 240 you have to swap both ends of one winding , if you than mesure 0 volts you can connect them in parralel, , if ther out of fase you will make a short, burning up the stator windings!!

ideed in this case you can draw the max amps, and watts on 120 volts in stead of 240.

BE SURE HOW TO COnNECT, OTHERWISE YOU WILL BURN OUT YOUR GENERATOR!!!!!

THIS IS NO JOKE!!!!!!

this will not work on three fase sets!, only the one fase 240/120 sets!!
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

mr bugsier5

Re: my picture?

Post by mr bugsier5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:06 am

Hankandtilly wrote:it showed up for me...any way here is a better version.
am i putting my picture in right? as far as i can figure out my picture has to be on the internet? i put the URL from my picture "Image" ?
here is the pictures ure from my web site it it still does not work.
https://sites.google.com/site/gppenergy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0pick1.png

sorry friend this wil not work, you have to swap the connections of one winding , otherwise both windings are not in fase, in series you have 240 , the two coils separate are 120 volts each , but there out of fase in this drawing, you have to use a doble poled switch to turn one wining around before connecting togeter!
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:35 pm

I think I would prefer to leave my PMA alone....

Oh.. some one is driving there tractor in town.. .. well at least they are better then a car.