Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire ?

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Triffidtraps

Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire ?

Post by Triffidtraps » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 am

I have been looking around Youtube for various ways of generating electricity off grid. I came accross this video from MrTeslonian. About the thermal properties of Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire which looks interesting. Does anyone know if this really works ? And i'm interested to know what sort of amp this could generate ? Techman this could be useful to you if this principle works ? You could produce electricity from your wood burner to charge your batteries if this Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire would produce enough amp ? Here is a link to the Youtube video check it out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQpl-5cca8

techman
Site Admin

Re: Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire ?

Post by techman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Triffidtraps wrote:I have been looking around Youtube for various ways of generating electricity off grid. I came accross this video from MrTeslonian. About the thermal properties of Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire which looks interesting. Does anyone know if this really works ? And i'm interested to know what sort of amp this could generate ? Techman this could be useful to you if this principle works ? You could produce electricity from your wood burner to charge your batteries if this Nitinol Wire and Copper Wire would produce enough amp ? Here is a link to the Youtube video check it out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQpl-5cca8

I cannot currently watch videos, sadly. I think my phone bandwidth is maybe limiting me.

But I have seen such things before. Normally they do produce some limited power, but not enough to be really useful, from what I have studied.

I am leaning more along the lines of a thermoelectric generator using peltier elements.

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:19 pm

You notice he says at one point "Mili-volts". Also, he never shows you the current or mah (mili-amp-hours) this produces. These devices are common, in a furnace or water heater, it's called a "thermo-couple". He got an average of about 5 milli-volts. That is .005 volts. So, if you put 1000 of these in series with just the twisted portion hot (maybe the stem needs to stay cool??) you'd have 5 volts. To charge a 12v bank, you'd need about 3000 of them to get 15 volts. And, who knows how many mah that is putting out. If it were 10 it would surprise me. 15 volts at 10mah would only be .15 watts. If it's putting out 100mah or .1 amp, that would be 1.5 watts charging power. As you can see, there isn't any potential here other than maybe to charge up a solar path light.

Dave Thacker
www.radicalrc.com
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

Triffidtraps

Post by Triffidtraps » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:02 am

Hello techman yes i agree with you most of the thermal electric generators that i seen produce voltage but not many amps :( I will keep an eye on MrTeslonian videos & see what his results are if they turn out interesting i will try some experimenting of my own with Nitinol Wire & post you updates on how things go :)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Dave Thacker wrote:You notice he says at one point "Mili-volts". Also, he never shows you the current or mah (mili-amp-hours) this produces. These devices are common, in a furnace or water heater, it's called a "thermo-couple". He got an average of about 5 milli-volts. That is .005 volts. So, if you put 1000 of these in series with just the twisted portion hot (maybe the stem needs to stay cool??) you'd have 5 volts. To charge a 12v bank, you'd need about 3000 of them to get 15 volts. And, who knows how many mah that is putting out. If it were 10 it would surprise me. 15 volts at 10mah would only be .15 watts. If it's putting out 100mah or .1 amp, that would be 1.5 watts charging power. As you can see, there isn't any potential here other than maybe to charge up a solar path light.

Dave Thacker
http://www.radicalrc.com

Yes, Dave, I think you are correct. These things are fun to play with and light up an LED.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Triffidtraps wrote:Hello techman yes i agree with you most of the thermal electric generators that i seen produce voltage but not many amps :( I will keep an eye on MrTeslonian videos & see what his results are if they turn out interesting i will try some experimenting of my own with Nitinol Wire & post you updates on how things go :)
Please let us know how it goes. Thanks.