switching device between star and delta windings

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
venci

switching device between star and delta windings

Post by venci » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:33 am

Hi everyone, I read: Windmill And Generator Winding Basics and there was an explanation of how to make a three phase generator, the difference between Star Generator Configuration and Delta Generator Configuration. There was an option to combine the two using "a switching device to switch between the two based on voltage and wind speed."

My question is what is that switching device, is there other name for it or just switching device, where to buy it, how to connect it...
basically any information I can get will be highly appreciated - pictures, videos, links, diagrams, simple explanation...

techman
Site Admin

Re: switching device between star and delta windings

Post by techman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am

I have found a good article that sums it up easily enough here: http://circuitglobe.com/star-delta-starter.html

To have it automatic you would need a speed sensor and some transistors or relays to configure the coils as needed based on speed. It looks pretty simple really although I have not yet done this myself. Looks like a good project to get into one day.

venci

Post by venci » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:50 pm

That is a great information, thank you so much. However I was hoping to be pointed out at an actual device that I can buy and then solder to the coils, rather than build one myself.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Well, on that note it does not look very good. I have been looking online and cannot find anything but DIY circuits to make your own.