Solar Panel Setup

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Patriot Prepper

Solar Panel Setup

Post by Patriot Prepper » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:40 am

This Spring, I plan to put a small solar setup on my shed roof. I currently have the Harbor Freight 45W Solar Panel kit. What I would like to know is what I should get to complete this setup. How should I hook it up and would the batteries be fin in the un-insulated shed? I plan to use the system to charge my power tool batteries and to run a few lights as needed in the shed. Also, I might have a small LED light outside the shed for security. I want to make sure I get the right kind of batteries and set them up right. Any help would be appreciated.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Solar Panel Setup

Post by techman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:15 am

You need true deep cycle batteries. Not starter and not marine starting batteries. If it has starting amps or CCA listed on the battery do not use it.

If it has reserve minutes or AH rating on it then go for it.

The HF kit comes with lights, charge controller and solar panels. Its all you need to get started.

You will need a power inverter to run your power tools though.

For more power capacity get more batteries. Remember 45 watts is not much so if you run a 100 watt power tool for an hour then you need about 2 or 3 hours to put that power back in.

There are losses in the lines and the sun is not always bright in the sky so always calculate more time to recharge.