Compressed air

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
joemcc

Compressed air

Post by joemcc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Is anyone using DC air compressors to spin windmill type generators? Replace the propeller with a squirrel-cage type of fan, then direct high pressure air to spin the generator.

As generator spins and battery is charged, pressure in air tank is maintained by DC compressor. You would have two types of energy stored then used to replenish each other.

cac67

Re: Compressed air

Post by cac67 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm

No, no one is doing that. Windmills are not 100% efficient and neither are compressors, so using an electric compressor to drive the fan would be less efficient than connecting the motor of the compressor directly to the generator. It would be great if you could get more electricity back than you put in that way but unfortunately there's little things like electrical resistance and friction stealing some of your power. The result is a net loss.

Edited: Spelling, Doh!

HelloWorld

Post by HelloWorld » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:33 am

I like these weird methods of energy storage I wont lie, if I recall these methods of storing power where used across the UK to store power for the grid when they had large demand to deal with.

In my eyes this method doesn't come down to how efficient it is to use, cause this method would be used purely for emergency power or for long term power storage similar to grid usage, alot of methods like this are used on the grid to store power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_energy_storage#Air" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Some cool ideas there on energy storage. Thanks.

TECABI

Post by TECABI » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:12 am

Is there someone, who has made/built a direct air compressor windmill.
There are lots of air powered tools, and i believe air pressure has less power loss in distance, than electricity

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Now that is a good idea actually. Someone recently suggested an idea how to store energy for later use. Batteries are not good for long term storage. Well, not the affordable batteries anyway.

But compressed air, stored in tanks, could then later be released to turn a modified generator to produce power.

Now you got me thinking.