Solar Heating Fan Control?

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
SolarSam

Solar Heating Fan Control?

Post by SolarSam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm building one of those solar heaters. Gonna save some cash this winter! I'm making a screen design and I've been looking around for fans. I'm not too big into electronics, but I've heard about snap disc switches that people buy and rig up to turn the fan on automatically?
I've been researching though, and I was curious if any of you were familiar with this fancy new fan control system called Okapi? They got variable speed fans, got a website and lots of YouTube videos, social media sites and all. Seem legit.
But I wanted to ask you all here what you thought of this fan control system.. They're blowin the heat out at the floor, not the ceiling... It seems totally different than the way everyone else seems to be doing it on YouTube.
What do ya think? Should I buy one of these Okapi systems? If not, how do I pick a fan for the snap disc set up?

techman
Site Admin

Re: Solar Heating Fan Control?

Post by techman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:41 am

I was looking at the setup from them. It looks legit. They started a kickstarter campaign and got the funds they needed to get it going.

If you can afford it, go for it. Otherwise look on ebay for cheap fan speed controls with a built in thermostat. Should be able to find something nice there.