TROY, your 5kw gen...

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Hankandtilly

TROY, your 5kw gen...

Post by Hankandtilly » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Troy that generator head can probably be saved. the first things i would do are;
1) using an ohm meter, check all the plugs, going from neutral to hot. There should be no or little resistance.
(A) if there is resistance, take the end cover off the generator head. there should be a terminal strip there, check for resistance respectively. if there is no continuity between hot+neutral, scrap it. but if there is that's good.
(B) if there is no resistance take off the gen heads end cover off and see if it is a brush type generator. if it is apply 12 volts dc across the field (Rotor) start engine and test plugs for voltage, if voltage is present resemble the generator its fixed.
if it is a brush-less generator, you will have to flash the field. Sorry cant help ta there, (that's what GOOGLE is for :D )

(A2) if the generator head proves to be good, check all wiring, im sure you could figure that out.

It would really help if you tore your generator down and posted a video or pictures, so that i could give better advice.
I know how important it is to have a good genny from one DoItYourselfer to another.
if some one reads this and thinks i have gotten something wrong, let me know! (we never stop learning)
what? who, me? no, i wasn't driving a tractor in the city........ :P

techman
Site Admin

Re: TROY, your 5kw gen...

Post by techman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:10 am

Thank you for your advice. The guy I got it from about two years ago said the diodes were bad. Not sure how he knew. At the time I was thinking that $20 each for an engine is a deal so I grabbed them. I was thinking gokarts and things. Now my life has changed a lot and I am thinking generators.

I will probably not get to this any time soon though due to the tiny house build. Time is flying so fast I cant believe it. Maybe the generator will be a winter project. I have another idea for my old red generator that runs.

Have you ever heard of a vapor carburetor? Someone suggested it to me once in these forums and I looked it up. I will do a video when I get to it. Hopefully that old red generator can be saved.