How to convert 12 volt to 6 volts

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Ghost

How to convert 12 volt to 6 volts

Post by Ghost » Fri May 02, 2014 7:49 am

Hello I have searched internet to find a way to reduce my 12 volt battery power to 6 volt battery power. I have found mainly ways to reduce the 12 volt down to 3 or 6 or 9 volt to only run a small light or something but I want to know is there a way to actually have a solar panel charging up a 12 volt battery for your typical use for off grid power but also have a device that reduces or lowers the volts that then can be used for a 6 volt power supply being able to run one light or even several 6 volt lights at one time

techman
Site Admin

Re: How to convert 12 volt to 6 volts

Post by techman » Sun May 11, 2014 6:44 pm

The best way to do what you want is to get a buck inverter from ebay. They reduce a DC voltage down to another DC voltage of your choice.

The current capacity depends on the price you want to pay for it. They range from a few dollars for a couple amps on up.

Let me know if you have trouble finding one.

Another option is to use two 6 volt batteries in series to give you a total of 12 volts. Charge them at 12 volts and use 6 volts for your projects. I am using all 6 volt golf cart batteries myself.

AnnBearForFreedom

Post by AnnBearForFreedom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 pm

The buck converters can also be known as DC step down transformers, since they step 12 volts DOWN to 6 volts, for example. I myself am fond of step UP transformers, which take a DC voltage and increase it to a higher voltage. Not a clue how either of these processes work, since they seem to, at least on the surface, defy the rules of physics. I know they don't really, but they do seem to. Fun to play with, at any rate.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:18 pm

They are interesting circuits. They convert a DC voltage to AC and then back down to DC.