Permanent Magnet Motor/Generator

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
acrowder53

Permanent Magnet Motor/Generator

Post by acrowder53 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello everyone

I have been concerning myself with many "alternative energy" or even Free Energy projects and ideas. I am currently working on a replication of Tesla's Radiant Energy system. However, I have wanted to introduce an idea since I know that many off griders, such as Troy mainly use Solar Energy, and Wind Turbine technology to generate independent power. While I am not disagreeing with those who choose to use such means to generate power, I have come to the conclusion that those types of power systems are not very reliable. Having seen many videos of Troy not having enough energy in his battery banks due to cloudy days. Cloudy days without wind.

So I was wanting to start a thread on the idea of using permanent magnets to generate power. I have experimented with permanent magnets of the Neodymium-Iron-Boron type and these obviously show the most promise in making a motor that is capable of generating power or even doing work, such as pumping water to specific locations. I reserve that magnets are the future for off grid living. They produce continuous power without need for external input (which in my opinion is a free energy or perpetual motion since lines of force are moving without external energy source??)

I have enjoyed many promising results when I was working with my magnet motor prototype. I have since given this device to a friend of mine for his own investigation into magnet power. Many sources say that getting a permanent magnet motor to operate without stopping is a difficult task. Okay I agree if your motor is intending to run a car or something of that nature. But to turn a small generator head to power whatever devices be it a battery, or low wattage appliances such as an LED TV, getting a magnet motor to operate to achieve this is not difficult. Dealing with strong rare earth magnets can be somewhat costly, but the initial startup capital will be returned much faster than using solar panels or wind turbine.

check out this youtube video please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOrB8DlDWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please anyone give me your suggestions on your ideas of using magnets for generation.

thanks,

Acrowder53
ethancrowder22@gmail.com

techman
Site Admin

Re: Permanent Magnet Motor/Generator

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Ok you got my interest and a lot of questions.

Can you please tell me some more details about the motor and what makes it turn.

Also, what is the generator? How many watts and volts? What can you run with this setup?

What did it cost you for materials?

Thanks for sharing.

acrowder53

Post by acrowder53 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 pm

techman wrote:Ok you got my interest and a lot of questions.

Can you please tell me some more details about the motor and what makes it turn.

Also, what is the generator? How many watts and volts? What can you run with this setup?

What did it cost you for materials?

Thanks for sharing.

Hey Troy,

Here are some more details about the motor. The motor I am currently working on is going to use N50 Neodymium-Iron-Boron rare earth magnets with counter sunk holes. I will be making this rotor out of wood, which I will heavily seal in case it needs to be used outside. The wood will be regular 2x4's. I am using the method shown on this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U8IqIAOj3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I plan to make the rotor 2 feet in diameter, and place the magnets on the outer edge, exactly 1 inch apart from the center of each hole of each magnet. The shaft will be 1 inch in diameter, and I will be using pillow block bearings. both the shaft and bearing are going to be purchased from:
http://www.thebigbearingstore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You asked what will make the motor turn. Magnets are positioned on a stationary platform of any design. I refer to this as the stator. In relation to the rotor, these magnets are adjustable which allows speed control. These magnets will spin fast so I would suggest that one screws these magnets into the wooden rotor. The magnets on the outer rim of the rotor create a flywheel effect which produces inertia, and torque. Normal boring mechanics at work :) One can do the torque formula for a ballpark amount of torque generated by the shaft.
torque = moment arm length X force applied X Sine of angle of force (for my motor it's 90 degrees. Sine of 90 degrees is 1)
So" torque = 11.5" (moment arm) x 70lbs (magnet's force) x Sine90 (1)
whatever this works out to should be the potential torque on the shaft, assuming frictional loses, resistances, etc.

The generator that was turned by the original motor was a permanent magnet alternator. I personally use N50 in my conversions. It as a 35 amp alternator. I ran the outlet of the alternator to an inverter. one could make the alternator produce 3 single phase outputs at 120 volts by using pulleys and whatknot to increase the speed of the alternator to make it produce 120 volts if they wanted.

I was able to run a TV, Fan, Laptop computer, and a radio on this setup. Now it is my understanding that the alternator's core is so efficient because it is designed in the shape of a toroid. also called the phi transformer core. Reduces lenz's law and whatknot. PMA do not have drag like conventional generators I've noticed. cost of the original prototype motor was around $200. Now keep in mind that I had machining done for free, the alternator was already converted from awhile back. This new motor is gonna be more expensive in the initial startup but magnets don't loose power for a few hundred years so money is returned quickly. I will send photos when I can get this one completed. Kinda restricted due to college starting and still unemployed. but will work on it when I can.

any more questions or suggestion are welcomed
thanks

acrowder53@gmail.com
ethancrowder22@gmail.com

acrowder53

Post by acrowder53 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey Troy,

Here is a small magnet motor I found on youtube works. similar to how mine will work.

check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihoQr7Umt38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ethancrowder22@gmail.com

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Wow, I cant wait to see the photos and hear from you about the results. Hope you will also do some videos and explain it in the video as well.

Now you have me thinking about these a lot more.

knightngal

Post by knightngal » Fri May 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Hello. I am brand new to the diy world. I am thoroughly enjoying the videos. I too am starting to learn about permanent magnent motors. I am also interested in hho dry cell technology. I am not so knowledgeable of these devices yet and am interested in getting plans to build my own too eventually. I recently found a pdf file on free energy devices that sparked my interest. I am hoping to learn from others who have experience in these fields. Keep up the good work Troy. Man, it's got to be fun living off the grid. Take care and give Baby Cat a pat for me.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun May 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks. Welcome to the forum.

It is awesome to live off the grid. The freedom and peace it gives is amazing and beyond words.

I hope to get my workshop set up again and get back into HHO experiments

Please share your progress here as you go.

Hawkeye312459

Post by Hawkeye312459 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 am

Hi I saw this video on a bedini motor and I tried to read the schematics but I could not could someone please give me a list of the components and there names and does it matter what gauge wire I use. I was looking to use 23 and 26 is that ok? Thank you. I saw the schematic on the diy site.
Attachments
th_Bedini-Motor-Schematics.jpg
Also can someone tell me all the parts and there numbers
th_Bedini-Motor-Schematics.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 22128 times

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:30 am

If you go to this page: http://www.thediyworld.com/ssg-battery-restorer.php

Look at the top left image in the four schematics. The one with the bike wheels in it. This image shows you everything you need to make your Bedini motor. It is also a much nicer image to use when putting your Bedini together.

You can swap out the wires. There is a little bit of tolerance in it.

chickaboom

Post by chickaboom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:37 am

I suggest you. Watch videos on YouTube by veproject1. You might find the perpetual magnet wind turbine and the s shaped turbine interesting. The perpetual magnet turbines uses magnets and metal clips. The s shaped turbine has Mylar glued to the inner parts of the s to reflect heat and black paint on the outer curves to absorb heat, making it spin in sunlight.