KEROSENE HEATERS

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
tazmanddevil67

KEROSENE HEATERS

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 am

I am really surprized that more people don't use kerosene heaters, The technology has been used for many years. You can pick the heaters up on craigslist for very cheap. And where else can you heat an area for 12 hours @37.5 cents per hour? I would not use it as a main heat source, But when the wood stove goes out, Or a power failure.

techman
Site Admin

Re: KEROSENE HEATERS

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am

I have seen a lot of very low priced second hand kerosene heaters all over the place but the $5 a gallon kerosene price keeps me away from them.

VJJohn

Post by VJJohn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:29 pm

You gotta shop around. You don't buy kerosene at the hardware or corner store, that's the expensive rip-off scented stuff to mask the smell, or a treatment added to it to reduce the smell. You can buy the additive to reduce smell yourself real cheap.

Heaters only give off a smell when they're first lit, & when you put them out anyway. Warmed up & burning they won't stink.

Look for gas stations that sell kerosene right out of the pump cheap. You can also use diesel, home heating fuel oil, & jet fuel in kerosene heaters & lamps with no problems. They're all almost the same thing... it's just a light oil (motor oil & some other oils are too heavy or may be toxic). I see kerosene & diesel around here at the gas stations for around $3 a gallon on the other side of the state. Look for farm diesel, it's the best. Ask farmers & truckers in your area where the best deals on Kero or diesel are. Check fuel distributors in your area too.

My brother has an above ground heating fuel oil tank in his yard. A pipe gravity-feeds it to his oil furnace in his basement. He has a tap on the pipe to fill kerosene heaters & lamps. He's been using the same oil in all that stuff for about 20 years, & they all work fine.

Kerosene, diesel, fuel oil, & jet fuel has more BTUs per gallon. Trains & truckers use diesel because it has the most energy per dollar.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:12 pm

I am working on a waste vegetable oil burner idea that will take just about anything you throw at it. Cant wait to get it going. Been sick recently so I have not been outside so much.

Schulziv

Post by Schulziv » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:11 pm

I have a monitor heater 22 with 1 gallon fuel cell heated my 55 foot trailer 40 to 50 bucks a week 60 bucks a month electric I was not off the grid but I believe I was running as about cheap as u can. Wood is time consuming time equals money in comments on my post please don't say wood with all the labor involved

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 am

True, wood means labor and time. But if you dont have enough money then wood is a good option to choose. And wood is renewable. It is something you can go out and get yourself in emergency.

I hope to have a propane heater this year with a thermostat. I want to set it at 50 degrees and leave it. My wood stove will be the primary source of heat but the propane will be there if I am gone or the stove goes out in the night.

RobinsBright2

Post by RobinsBright2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 am

Space heaters also come in handy if you have a room in your home or office that lacks heating ductwork, is poorly insulated or is otherwise difficult to heat.