A Special Note on Bearings and Generators

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Solar98632

A Special Note on Bearings and Generators

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 am

I juat wanted to take the time to share an important need for mechanical detaols to consider on the 2 stroke mini gens .
While they are great fo emergency depending on how hungry for power you are a small. 850watt to 1kw. might be an afordable meams to aid you through a storm.
HOWEVER ATTENTION NEEDS TO BE PAID TO THE BEARINGS
these are the Akilies heals on the genis.
one might want to tear the geni down on an off time and re grrase the bearings because if you don't your prep work could be rendered mute as you look at the pile of metal of self destruction that lays befor you. the only thing salvageable might be the inverter if your lucky.
yes motor and generator would be destroyed beyond repair.

So I just want to remind you while the two strokes are ok, you need to keep maintenance up on these units. becuase unlike there 4 stoke cousins these 2 strokes are less forgiving.

Also while shutting down the units turn the fule off and let the geni run out of fuel and turn its self off.

And remember cover the unit from rain. Unless you want to wind up dead.
follow all directions and safety protocols.

mr bugsier5

Re: A Special Note on Bearings and Generators

Post by mr bugsier5 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:41 am

strange story, athoug these sets made in Ch1na/korea are not the finest ever build, the perform reasonably well , just as Troy did, run them in first, and use the right amount of oil gas mixture, (it's a two stoke, so nu lub oil in the carter),do not missthread them , and the will work fine!
i have no idea what you are talking about, we have sold numerois of these little sets for around 80 euro's , so there not that bad for the mony you pay for these low cost sets.

extra dismantling and lubing of engine bearings is absolutly not nessesairy!!, replace the sparkplug tho, the original sparkplugs are crap!, for the rest the work remarkely good !
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 am

I have also heard that these little HF generators need a bit of love and care to keep them going well. I have read that the screws come loose often and need tightening. Not sure about bearings but I will check to be safe.

I dont understand why they sell it with a bad spark plug out of the box. But mine died on the first tank of gas and had to be replaced. Been running fine ever since.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Good questiong on that plug issue.
just found out my weed wacker plug will not work lol.. oh well off to NAPA there only a walk from hear.

Oh, there is an adjustment on the 1,200 watt unit.
Ok HF guys get Bad plus, All power gets " To Hot" that is to say 12 vdc is 34 v dc and or 24 vdc. dont know about you but seems to 24 vdc alone would destroy a battery.
There is a screw that lowers the voltage by lowering the idle arm.
it also was throwing 130 out in the Ac side.
But, calibration is s need on all genies.
This unit has a very touchy btreaker Wich is a good thing. people make mistakes and will sometimes connect the jumper cables wrong.
one thing is for sure, deffinately going to gett better alligater clips.. this flimst mettal will not due

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:38 pm

eh appologies foe ryping errors..

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Strange that they sell a generator which has to be adjusted before you can use it. Should be ready out of the box imho

MrCrf450rider

Post by MrCrf450rider » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:22 pm

That screw for the throttle control,is for setting your frequencies,on a portable generator.can be done with a multimeter,but I usually use a Honda load tester,with meter.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey, was a long time since I have been able to check my forum. I was paying per MB in Australia. I am back in business fully again.

I will be checking on the old generator when this mess thaws out and I can work outside again. Need to dig stuff out of the snow first. lol

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:05 am

the china build sets are sold all over the world , they are cheap, so jou can count on one hand that the quality is not so great, but if you check the bolts ones in a time , and threat them nice , they wil run quite fine, mostly they put some differend nameplates on it, but the are all clones of well build japanese engines.mostly honda (gas engines) or Yanmar (diesel).iff you buy a real Yanmar diesel generator they wil last for ages, but are quite expensive, if you take the risk for a mutch cheaper cina set the wil mosly run just fine, iff you treat them nice, but sead again, the cheap sets are from a lot lesser quality as the original ones out of Japan or England (petter, lister etc) (and some cases even American like onan etc :mrgreen:)

the trottle speed is the only thing you can adjust, most of the smal sets have a build in avr for the voltage control, depends on were you live how mutch volts it produces, the battery charging plugs are not voltage controlled , so in time they will overcharge the battery you are charging, open voltage is indeed quite higher, iff you charge a 12 volt batt. the max charge current is 8 amps, at 24 volts that wil be mutch lower., its not regulated so just be careful., its not realy made to charge batterys the way you should , but its good enough to put some power in it to forinstance start a car up again , the car generator will regulate to max voltage of around 14,4 volts on a 12 volt system, the small generators do not. ;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Well I have the generator callibrated. And yes I did it under a load. It is working fine. And now when it revs with a load it maintains 12 volts. With out a load it will.go.to 30 volts.

The wierx . Are me mistaking the . For the space bsr on the droid.
Lol.. I have seen and decoded way worse..
I start m8ne about once a week and run it on half power to lube and let the thing wash the dishes..

I see a lot of people resting there feet on the thing to start it.. this explains the breaking of the pully mechanisms. It starts nicely with out the need to be a big "jerk " to it..lol