A Special Note on Bearings and Generators

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Solar98632

Re: A Special Note on Bearings and Generators

Post by Solar98632 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm

techman wrote:I have also heard that these little HF generators need a bit of love and care to keep them going well. I have read that the screws come loose often and need tightening. Not sure about bearings but I will check to be safe.

I dont understand why they sell it with a bad spark plug out of the box. But mine died on the first tank of gas and had to be replaced. Been running fine ever since.

Yeah, I am not sure why either..but my plug was different from what I have seen online
So, I saved it incase I need an emergency back up.
It seems like there are 2 engines that are being used. I have the 7.5 cc.
Now I am not sure if the actual dynamo is different when it comes to.the 800 watts vs the 1,200 watt units because I have noticed on youtu e prople.running up to 1,000 watts on an 800 watt unit. Now I do know the dynamo for 4kw is way different then the 1 to 2 kw units. If this is the case. Then I would imagine some one sooner or later is going to.slap on a 7.5 cc on an 800 watt unit..that would be interesting. .

I have also noticed the gas engines have a differe coulping device for the same unit that runs off a regular gas engine. It is slightly higher in costs..8 think they did this so people wont orger a gas engine and attempt replace the the 2 stroke. .I doubt that kind of mod would even work?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun May 11, 2014 2:42 pm

I think you can use any motor to spin up a generator. It just needs to spin up. The most important thing is the spinning speed. It must be the same as intended for the original generator or you will have voltage and frequency problems.

That little HF generator will put out over 800 watts but it's going to be dirty power.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:44 pm

that is thrue, the most inportant thing is that the drive engine has to have a governor to keep the rpms constant.
that is indeed to keep the frequency as close to 50 or 60 hz as possible, (depending on the country jou live in, here in europe it is 230 volts at 50 hz, y believe in the us it's 115 volts at 60 hz? )most cheap small generators have a avr what holds the voltage stable, older types off capacitor regulators do not have a avr function, the rpms are even more critical whit these types of generators.
Last edited by mr bugsier5 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 pm

:lol: btw , in the U.S. you need a lot thicker wires!, more amps at lower voltage! :mrgreen: we are cheapscates here in Holland :roll: :lol: :lol:

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 am

True, on that note you have it better :)

But I walk on solid land ;)

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:06 am

techman wrote:True, on that note you have it better :)

But I walk on solid land ;)

:lol: whell i do to :mrgreen: , i'm on the dry side mostly,(not the whole off the country is below sea level! :mrgreen: ) and when we have a dike going down , still have my offgrid tugboat nearby! 8-)

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:17 am

last week y had a client of me with a new china cheapscate generator here in the workplace, stickers on it pretending to be a 4 stroke inverter generator. :lol: (client could not find a oil dipstic orr filler.....)

whell, it was not!, the engine wass stuck, (after dismanteling the case it was a two stroke , not as the package mentioned a 4 stroke, so he dident add oil to the gas eather.., it ran for 2 full minutes :lol: , y freed up the piston using wd 40,and some force, and added a lot off two stroke oilto the gas, and it worked again! (o wonder!!)

after checking the rest , connected to the engine was a normal ac generator off rated 900 watts , the stickers on the case it pretendet to be it being a 1500 watt continiois, and 2000 watt maximum...

you guest it right , it only was strong enough to drive a smal jiggsaw....... :lol:

but, it was cheep for the 2000 watts, (not producing) :lol:

he now bought a real 4 stroke honda, inverter off 2000 watts, works a lot better! :mrgreen:

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Thats horrible. I cant believe they sell such junk sometimes. How can they make money with all the returns. I wonder. HF is hit and miss for example but low price. Their guaranty is awesome so I risk it all the time.

FrugalPrepper

Post by FrugalPrepper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Troy,

I have a small 4 cycle one and a 2 cycle one. The 2 cycle on hasn't lost a bearing yet but my 4 cycle is on it's 3rd bearing. I looked it up and it takes the same size bearing as my 2 cycle. My 2 cycle has has starter puller issues though that I have fixed. These little 2 cycles are all are all Yamaha clones if you are looking for parts.

Here is a link to where I replaced the bearing: http://youtu.be/Pm0c9kfiOOw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get the bearing at Tractor Supply and I have 2 extras on hand as well. Other than the bearing it has been rock solid, but I have ran the 4 cycle full tilt wide open throttle for up 10 days once and 7 days another time and 5 days once as well as several short power outages and for doing off grid work. The 10 day time I was only stopping to top off/change the oil. I live dangerous and will normally fill it with gas while it is running, but since my tiller fire incident I think I am changing that policy, I will shut them down and wait a few minutes to fill them from now on.

FrugalPrepper

Post by FrugalPrepper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:41 pm

This is a link to how I found and replaced the starer on my Yamaha Clone as cheaply as I could. It is a common failure and a lot of the sites want a small fortune for the parts. I also keep an extra one of these on hand. I don't use the 2 cycle as much, I normally have it for the back of my truck when I need to run the air compressor off grid somewhere, or use it when my solar in the shed isn't quite enough (I only have a 400 watt inverter in the shed)

http://youtu.be/GYZigw7oHj4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;