AC motor used as wind turbine - YES it is easy and works

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
MichaelB

Re: AC motor used as wind turbine - YES it is easy and works

Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 am

Hello all,

Overkill or not, I was very pleased by the results of my latest test runs [numbers below]. Now I just have to find a way to correctly combine/use my amps & volts for max watts. I'm all ears, gang.

Beautiful day for testing - zero wind, warm and clear; only had to dodge one pesky armadillo.

10mph - 0v
15mph - 100v
20mph - 130v
30 - 200v
35 - 235v
40 - 260v [!!!]

We were very excited. As in, "hop out of the car a do a celebratory dance in the boonies" excited.

BUT, when connected [amps rack to volts rack] they are not combining; I am not getting any of the volts. So I know I'm doing something wrong. And yet, I feel I am very close to a [major] breakthrough.

Help!

Michael

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi,

I was gone for easter and then had thousands of spam posts and articles to sort through. Sorry I did not get back to you. Whats the status of your project?

Troy

MichaelB

Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Troy,

It's funny, I was just about to post the sound of crickets!

The project is at a sticking point; still trying to find the correct way (or device) to connect my amps & volts to get the desired wattage. I'd rather not rebuild everything if I don't have to. My mechanical friend and I tried half a dozen different hookups and each time the amps would stay about the same but the volts would drop to @10%! Where'd they go?!

I have met a few people with more knowledge than I have regarding current but they too are stumped when it comes to connecting individual generators.

So, either I've hit a wall and am in dire need of intelligent supervision/direction or I need to invent something...good ole Necessity.

How are things on your end?

You know, if flying down takes too much of a bite, is there anyone near Orlando that can serve as your eyes and then relay what they're seeing over the phone to you?

Glad you're back. I'd love to get this system working and I appreciate your input.

Michael

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi Michael,

It sounds confusing indeed. I think that a few photos might be in order. If you want, send me a non disclosure form to sign before showing me the info. I can sign and send it back to you for your protection. I have done that a lot before with other people and companies.

Then send me some pics of your setup at info@thediyworld.com and I can hopefully help a bit better.

I am very tight on finances now due to loosing my car (wheel fell off), so a visit is out unless you can pay for the plane ticket. Something to consider. I have noone down your way who could help me tho, sadly.

Troy

MichaelB

Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:47 am

Hi,

A [quick?] question - why are auto radiator cooling fans so much cheaper than windmill generators? Is it because:

1. the materials used - magnets and coils - are of much cheaper quality [and therefore aren't useful for generating electricity]

2. the precision widths [between rotor and stator] simply aren't there [and again, not of much use in power generation]

3. or because they don't come with all the extras - the blades and controllers etc [but, I have come across several windmill generators that also DO NOT come with parts and they are still about 10 times the price of auto fans]

So, what's the consensus?

Thanks,
Michael

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:49 pm

What is the status of your project? I have not heard from you in a while. I think you had my email?

I got buried in spam and my YT channel got very busy so I have not been up to date on things recently. Hopefully I am back in the game.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:24 am

its advisable to first learn the basics about electricity to make it more simple!
, what you produce with your generator is watts, that exists off volts and amps, the harder you turn the generator the more volts you mesure whitout any load , iff you connect a user (a lamp or something else) you draw amps of your generator creating the watts, at a sertain point if you draw more amps , the harder it is to turn the gennerator, it has to create the watts, thus energy you have to give it by means off wind , or paddeling etc, the more you draw from the genny, the more you load it, the harder it must work. ;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)