How about a Wood gasifier to run a generator for more power

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Squatch

How about a Wood gasifier to run a generator for more power

Post by Squatch » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302 ... oodgas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can use woodgas to run a generator so you can power more than
Dc power if you live in the woods you should look into this to help with
Your power needs with a generator you can power lots of things

techman
Site Admin

Re: How about a Wood gasifier to run a generator for more po

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Eventually I hope to use wood gas to power a small gas engine which turns a vehicle alternator to get the best free charging of my batteries.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:51 am

that will work fine Troy!, point is also , if you use the alternator to load the batterys , the rpm is not critical, it doesent have to run in a steady way , its different iff you want to use ac , to hold the 60hz (i presume you have there?), its mutch more difficult to keep the engine going the right speed on woodgas, tho get the mixture right is not so easy under different loads!

grts Richard
Last edited by mr bugsier5 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 pm

All my AC power comes from the inverter inside. I only use my generator to charge the batteries.

The only AC I am using anyway is for my LED TV which takes only 30 watts. In summer I have more power and use a lot more too.

I think the wood gas with an alternator would be perfect then. Only thing I am worried about is that I read wood gas is corrosive and can ruin an engine. If that is even true.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:12 pm

It's not corrosive in the cilinder or moving parts, thing to think about is filtering and drying the gas befor getting it in to the engine due to the creosote the fire creates, woodgas is not more corrosive as lpg or natural gas, most problems are created bij dirt coming in the engine with the gas, if you can get it creosote free it wil not be a problem. Iff you use a old diesel engine you can even run it on waist engine oil whitout any problem at all, done it myselve on several projects ( have bin living offgrid on my tug for 17 years, doing so in the summer now for plesure, currendly living in a home with office in winter and summer using the tugboat for plesure and freetyme. :(

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Btw ongrid is nice and easy with my natural gass central heating, living like a king, still missing the offgrid life haha.its mutch more cosy! Offgrid!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:35 am

Interesting to know, thanks. I sometimes wonder what information is out there to steer us away from alternate energy but its not true. Like the corrosiveness of wood gas.

I am studying how to clean the gas before running it into an engine. Seems like a complex process but it would be very much worth it.

Yes it feels very nice to be off the grid.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:28 am

techman wrote:Interesting to know, thanks. I sometimes wonder what information is out there to steer us away from alternate energy but its not true. Like the corrosiveness of wood gas.

I am studying how to clean the gas before running it into an engine. Seems like a complex process but it would be very much worth it.

Yes it feels very nice to be off the grid.
g]cleanig wil not be a to big problem , iff you cool the gas in a big canister the creosote has te time to drop out off the gas, just like aengine silecer, the gas expanses and loses speed, giving it the time to get rid of the non gas creosote parts, after thet it's clean enough to put in an engine. have tried it here in a test a few years ago, the problem was to get te right mixture gas/air to let the engine run smooth, making use off a car alternator wil work fine, what i also have done is disconnectthe mesuring wire from the regulator and relocate it direct on the battery , to reduce amp loss over the loading wire, the buildin regulator mesures the voltage off the battery on the b+ connection on the alternator, this will work fine in a car , but not when you use longer loading cables, the voltage drop wil give the alternator the idea that the bats are full, but it only mesures the volts on its own connection , at 50 amps there wil be quite a voltage drop over the cable, 14,4 at altrnatur is in most situations only 13 on the battery, thus slowing loading down, i do this often when i build new power systems in boats, via the longer wires yoy always have voltage drops (also when using diode splitters , wil cut of 0,7 volts of the volts, so loading wil be mutch less efficient when you do not compensate!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Yeah, the mixture sounds like it might be a problem because it will be hard to control the gas coming out of the fire precisely.

Thanks for the info. Cant wait to try it out but I think it will be spring before I start working with good gas. Right now its all about getting warm and keeping my batteries topped off.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 pm

I mean wood gas