Your Black and Decker Battery Tool Set

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
Dave Thacker

Your Black and Decker Battery Tool Set

Post by Dave Thacker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Troy, I have the same tool set you have, drill-driver, circular saw & jig saw. I have both the 14.4v and 18v sets. I stumbled across a yard sale and purchased another drill, charger and some more batteries but most especially, a good working 14.4v reciprocating saw to match my set. These are AMAZING. I've been restoring a 63 Airstream and I swear I've used the reciprocating saw more than my electric drill. I've since purchased the 18v version off eBay. You can't buy the reciprocating saw separately, so used off eBay is a good way to go.

One of the cool parts that came with my $30 yard sale find was the fast charger. It charges both the 14.4v and 18v sets and works very well. You could really use one of these and it's the main point of my post. There are a couple versions. One 9.6v to 18v "FSMVC" and the 9.6v to 24v BDFC240R. Both run off AC. It looks like you can buy one delivered for a cost from $22 to $30 range. I use "Just Snipe" to do my buying there.

You can find these by searching "Black and Decker Fast Charger". It's a great addition to your tool set. If you shop around, you might find a reciprocating saw that includes this item. I think it may have originally came in the big sets that included the reciprocating saw. This charger will help you to keep working more steady.

Since acquiring a number of the newer overnight chargers that do both pack voltages and the one fast charger, I've never ran out of battery packs when doing heavy work. It's not a bad idea to stop by pawn shops also. I've never purchased any of my used B&D stuff that way, but you'd be amazed at what you can find and at not to horrible of a price.

I can't quite make out if you have the 14.4v set or the 18v set, however either one is good quality. We also own a 3rd drill, the 18v circular saw, the weed whip and blower. I'll keep this set going for a while. When I run out of batteries, maybe then I'll look at getting a new lithium set.

I'm a firm un-apologetic believer in Liberty. I've always felt tools are freedom. Tools are choices. You can decide to do it yourself and save when you have more time than money. When you have more money than time you can hire a mechanic. Needless to say, I'm certain you have more time than money. Tools assist your freedom.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

phoneguy1212

Re: Your Black and Decker Battery Tool Set

Post by phoneguy1212 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 pm

I still have and use my first cordless drill. It's 9 volts and 600 rpm perfect for driving in screws. It's a Skill. I used it for my 20 years as teley tech.
Jerry

Snowmads

Re: Your Black and Decker Battery Tool Set

Post by Snowmads » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi Dave,

Great info there. I have an older 12 v Rigid drill/driver that came with a right angle impact driver. The batteries developed the dreaded charge memory over time and I was at a loss as to where to get more then I found a local shop that rebuilds them. They're now stronger, faster and infinitely better than they were before, but didn't cost 6 mil. Only 30 bucks each and I have way better than what I could have bought for 40 from Rigid.

So before you toss the oldies, look into a rebuild. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I also just got the 18V 4 tool combo from Porter Cable. All I can say is WOW! Strong as an ox and the batteries hold up all day on the drill.

All the above tools and more will be used to refurb/restore our 1950 Owosso coach. She'd look some cute sitting up in Troy's mountain commune. :mrgreen:

And yes, I am interested in that morgage deal you mentioned in last week's live chat session. Dunno how far I might go, but it DOES sound intriguing.