RV Exterior Improvments

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
DonJon

RV Exterior Improvments

Post by DonJon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:03 am

I see you skirted your RV with an old pool wall and you've reported that your floor is no longer cold. Nice, you must be really pleased! Maybe a few carriage bolts and washers in strategic locations might help keep wind from pulling it away from the RV? I think ringing the ground around the base of the skirt with cinder blocks (as you find them) will take care of the lower half. Then just a few well placed carriage bolts straight through the RV wall? Perhaps. Also, I've seen those pool walls rust away when they were used as fencing... just a heads-up, might want to see about preventing that.

Anyway, was thinking about next winter. Since heat rises you might want to engineer something to keep your heat from just passing out the roof...

"Attic Blanket" http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-attic-blanket.htm

I'm going to guess that theres not enough head-room in the RV for thick insulation. So if you could work out a way to cover the roof (outside) with about a foot thick attic blanket, of scavenged insulation, you could be a ton warmer next year! The issues would be that you would need a new sheet metal or plywood/tar-paper roof sitting on top of it. Would have to be something that could support the weight of snow and also be water proof. You also dont want the insulation packed down tight against the existing roof because that cuts down on its efficiency. You want as much trapped air under the 'new roof' as possible.

So there it is, my idea. Now just 6 months to figure out how and to procure the materials cost effectively. I'll post any further thoughts to that effect.

Later
- John Donaway
http://fastinghelp.org

techman
Site Admin

Re: RV Exterior Improvments

Post by techman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you for the ideas. I did not think the pool liner would rust too badly as it is, but better safe than sorry.

I want it to look nice so I am looking for materials to support it well, but still look good. I will not put any holes in the camper though so that is out.

And YES it makes a huge difference on my feet in here on a cold night now. The floor is so much more comfortable. It was freezing all the time before.

If I stay here long enough I am thinking about making a sort of frame - shell around the camper. That will keep the sun off in summer and the cold out in winter. It would double as my rain water collector as well. Still looking for affordable materials for that though.

Right now its 70 out and over 80 inside just from the sun shining. Thats already way too hot for me especially since I have spent the last few weeks at about 50 degrees on average.

I will keep everyone up to date on my progress when I figure things out.

DonJon

Post by DonJon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:49 am

I think the pool wall is fine until there is a breech in the enamel/paint/protective coating. When used as a pool the risk of it being chipped or damaged is nil, but when re-purposed, well you see what I mean.

Now that I think about it the cinder blocks around the base plus STAKING it every few feet... that should actually work better than any bolting. People throw away broom/mop handles all the time, they'll rot eventually but easily replaced. Free stakes.
- John Donaway
http://fastinghelp.org

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Yes, I agree and plan to paint the whole thing later when I get some time.

I can also use tree branches, after I am done burning them for heat during this cold spell, lol. I can find tons of free branches on the ground to use as stakes.

tazmanddevil67

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:07 am

We used to use 2x4 framing staked into the ground under trailers to attach tin skirting too, Then dig a mini trench to drop the bottom of the skirting in the ground to secure it. It eliminates putting screws into the camper.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I am thinking about using wood framing and foam sheets this year under the RV. I would like to make them in removable sections in case I ever need to get underneath the RV.

Last year after closing up the camper with a solid sheet of metal, I had trouble getting through without tin snips.

jos6i

Post by jos6i » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Why don't you just use some pallets coated in plastic and place them inclined towards the three walls of your RV? just an idea.

tweakinreaper

Post by tweakinreaper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:30 pm

haybales houses might be of help here for the thermal value as well. Stacking them around the shaded side of the RV may help greatly year round.
just a thought....

jos6i

Post by jos6i » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:08 pm

tweakinreaper wrote:haybales houses might be of help here for the thermal value as well. Stacking them around the shaded side of the RV may help greatly year round.
just a thought....
Even better, good idea must say

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am

maby a idea to fil plastic garbage bags with the fallen leaves, this is all natural isolation ! ;) there free and you have enough!
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)