I want to convert a Step-Van into a recording studio/camper?

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
mmr305

I want to convert a Step-Van into a recording studio/camper?

Post by mmr305 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Am I crazy?
Iv'e been dreaming of building a 'Mobile recording studio' for about 3 years now, and now that I'm finally leaving school (and need a place to live - my parents house won't cut it;) I want to make it a camper also. I would like something small, that wouldn't be a hassle to drive around. All of this has led me to the idea of converting a 'Step-van' into a camper. Something like this.

First off the enclosure MUST be soundproof, so I'm not sure how that would work with a/c. I could build a small little vocal booth and not worry about soundproofing the van, but that might take up too much space. The studio itself would only require room for a desk (to hold speakers, a piano, and a laptop), and room for a musician or two to hang out. I would like to get some type of Murphy bed or maybe a bed that goes into the roof, basically anything that takes up minimal space when I'm awake. !More room for recording! Being that I eat somewhat healthy I would need room to prepare food, a burner, a sink and a small fridge. Do you guys think I could fit that all in? How about electricity? Would a solar panel be enough to power all of that? I would also like to know how feasible it would be to get an enclosed bathroom?

I know this is all theoretical, but I'm just starting, and I will take all the advice I cant get. If anybody has any other cool ideas please chime in. Lastly would anybody be able to give me a ROUGH estimate on the cost of a project like this?

Thanks so much!!!
This is all very exciting, and I'm glad I might finally get the chance.
G-d Bless!!

techman
Site Admin

Re: I want to convert a Step-Van into a recording studio/cam

Post by techman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:27 am

Did you get your dream going yet?