Preparing interior for new paneling

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
evogoddess

Preparing interior for new paneling

Post by evogoddess » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 pm

The metal beams in my camper are quite rusty. All the leaks have been repaired and styrofoam insulation has been installed. Do I need to de-rust the beams before installing the luan board AND how do I attach the Luan board? To the metal beams? Do I have to drill holes or just use self-tapping screws? Sorry it's a lot of questions, but I really want to get this done and I've never done anything like this before.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Preparing interior for new paneling

Post by techman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 am

If you want this to last a long time, I would first remove all the insulation.

Paint the metal with a rust converting primer. Rustoleum sells some in spray form and in cans.

Then put your insulation back in.

I used liquid nails in my RV when I put the new wall boards back in. It worked well but there is one annoying problem with it. It takes forever to dry. I had to carefully prop boards up against the new wall board to keep it in place while the glue cured. It was a horribly annoying job but it has held for a year now and looks good.

I would go to your local hardware store or lumber yard and ask for a fast dry glue for sticking on wall boards. Tell them exactly what you are doing and then read the can fully first - before you buy. If not satisfied, keep shopping.

Believe me, the glue is very important.

evogoddess

Post by evogoddess » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Why do I need to take the insulation out? It is stryofoam (not the original insulation) and it is recessed in between the steel beams. Also, my ceiling curves downward to meet the sides of the camper and there is a little ledge there, so if I cut the luann board just a tad larger than the space, the tension of forcing it up onto the little ledge should hold the board in place while the glue is drying. Is my thinking correct on this? And I know to cut grooves on the back of the board to facilitate the curving. Can I post a picture here? It may give you a better idea of what I'm doing.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:51 pm

I don't know if it is too.late?

It sounds like your idea will work. Have you done it yet?

Zelturo

Post by Zelturo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:32 pm

The way rvs are built they use a contact glue but it needs to be acrylik base and for the ceiling go at any rv bussness and buy a thinner piece of panneling i beleive you need 2.5mm

Hopes that help.

Ps the glue need to be water base because if not the styrophoam will melt.