Dometic Fridge issue Helping Troy

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
Zelturo

Dometic Fridge issue Helping Troy

Post by Zelturo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:44 am

Hi again troy this is the RV tech that keep on adding topics.

First of all the older model Dometic fridge is 3 way. I would not try to use it on 12Volt it will defenitively not be enough sufficient for your using. Let me explain: the older model of those fridge had the 12 volt option for when you are on the road and you would want to keep the fridge cold once it was already open and also its really not offician and would use alot of battery power because it is and 12V element that in the back that heat the boiler.

Second in that video of yours I can help but notice how much that door is yellow. In my world of rv tech that a really good sign that there was at some point an Amonia Leak. If you go on the back of you Rv and you check the access panel make shure ther is no yellow powder or and amonia smell in the fridge. I would be very dengerous (Flame hazard)

Three If you can give me the model , serial, and production number that you have in the inside of the fridge I could check for you if there is a recall on it some of those older model had no Hi temps cut off that caused the fridge to catch in flame provide me that and Ill check it out for ya

Four in the video you are talking about that door not closing. Those fridge gasket ( as far as I can tell by the look in the video) have a strip of metal in it that is supposed to stick to the frame of the fridge. When they built that fridge there should be a strip of magnet ( behind the casing you can't see it) . On those older model I have sween the magnet fall out of the frame and that is the reason why that door is not closing. You can use a magnet and run in all around that frame it should try to stick all around if not then that is the issue and there is really noting you can to about it other and install a lock systeme that would keep it shut.

Hopes that helps

David

Zelturo

Re: Dometic Fridge issue Helping Troy

Post by Zelturo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Also let me explain a little bit about those RV fridge:

Those fridge run on amonia and gravity. They dont have any compressor in them. The way it work is that you have a heat source that makes the liquide inside the cooling unit turn into vaper and then will condense on the top part of the colling and then with gravity the liquide will slowly fall back down into the tank and in to the boiler. Since those fridge basicaly work on gravity its really important the any RV when using the fridge is level. Basically you want your rv to be level just because of the fridge. If you run an RV fridge out of level the liquide inside ( contain not only amonia but other product like potatiom chromat) will over heat and there will be a plugin effect that will keep it from having the liquide do its cycle. After that the fridge stop cooling. That is the reason whyy some people say that if your RV fridge stops working just pull it from the wall turn it around for a day and then star it again. It might actually work but it will only delay the death of your fridge. Those fridge are really reliable but if not use in the right condition they will be useless.

Also if anyone ever have issue with a fridge colling unit you can replace only the colling on most dometic and norcold fridges Unfortunatly for tha Atwood one the colling unit is not yet available aftermarket but iam shure they will eventually get to it

I hope Those two post help you Troy Take care

P.S. Love the idea of the 24Hrs a day webcame I cant wait to see it

David

higgy

Post by higgy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:45 am

troy.
you should look into ARB series of coolers. very rugged, runs on DC.
sold on amazon.
Down side is very pricey.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Thank you very much for the info and tips on the RV fridge. Mine is colored yellow inside from the factory. I know, its an ugly color.

But none of that matters at all anymore. My RV fridge blew out on Saturday, spewing ammonia all over the RV. It was a mess and I could not go near it for half a day.

It never did have a leak before but it is done now. The ammonia took three hours to fully leak out. Then another few hours to air out the RV.

Sadly when the roof vent was wrecked at the previous owner's residence, it went unpatched and the damage was done. It must have been rusty enough to blow through.

Zelturo

Post by Zelturo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am

Iam in Montreal about 5 hrs from you and the compagny I work for is using a sublet that would refurbish cooling unit and gives a lifetime warranty on it. Ill call him tomorow because here today tis holiday Canada Day. If you are interested give me a shout I send you my phone number by email already and I can contact the guy and see how much it would cost you to get a new unit in your fridge

Also if you have a couple thousand dollar to spend you can buy a 12volt compressor fridge its expensive to buy but once you have it you can run it on your solar panel

Hopes that helps

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks. I am not going to repair the old RV fridge. It is too old and not worth it I fear.

I plan to buy a brand new chest freezer and convert it to be used as a fridge for my solar power system. I have heard that people get very good results with the converted freezers.

The old RV fridge is not a perfect food pantry, which I needed anyway.