A few suggestions for the future

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
The_Amateur

A few suggestions for the future

Post by The_Amateur » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi, Troy!
I thought of a few suggestions for your solar panels and your tiny house on wheels that you are planning on making:

-I was just watching your video where you were telling us about your plans for a tiny home on wheels and your decision not to have a porch. If you wanted, you could still have a big sliding glass door (in a kitchen area?) that will let sunlight through and if it gets too hot, all you have to do is open the door.

-If you end up buying the land from your landlady, you should put a small concrete base for a pole that you can put your solar panels on the bottom of and the wind turbines on the top of it. The concrete will make for a strong base and you can move whatever it if you need to. Therefore, at different times of the day, you can turn your mount to face the sun better and you get the most sun possible throughout the day, and your wind turbines will turn in their own direction and keep generating power that way. If you have high winds, all you would need to probably do is raise the angle of the panels so they are facing straight up and they will likely be fine.

-In your future house(s), have an outlet inside it wired to an outlet right on the exterior wall of it. Therefore, if you ever need to connect a generator to your house, all you need to do is plug it in to your exterior outlet (I think this would have to be done with a suicide cord, though) and have all your needed things run into that outlet. If you need to power something from your house, put the power into that outlet from the inverter (once again via suicide cord) and then you can use the exterior outlet for outdoor tools/chargers/lights/electric fence wiring. I am planning on doing this very soon to my setup.

I hope these ideas seem do-able, since they would definitely be implemented in my setup if I was in your situation. I wish you the best of luck, Troy!

techman
Site Admin

Re: A few suggestions for the future

Post by techman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:43 am

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I do plan to put in a concrete foundation for the solar panels and get them on poles. I need some angle iron first though so I have to save up for that. But I will get it done properly with rotating panels.

My wind turbines are going up on proper ham radio towers when I get a chance. They will also have concrete foundations.

Nice idea on the porch. I could put a porch off the side of the kitchen as you said. Nice. Make it a passive solar porch which is enclosed in winter and heated by my wood stove through water pipes and a radiator and I will have an all season greenhouse.

I now have a DC generator so I never have to mess with plugging in AC to the RV and accidentally blowing out my inverter. You have to be careful when running an inverter in the RV and plugging in outside power. Could cause fireworks and blow a lot of stuff.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your suggestions.

The_Amateur

Post by The_Amateur » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 am

Alright, no problem! Can't wait to see these plans come into place! I forgot about your DC generator, but that seems like a much better idea anyway. Good luck!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:56 am

Thank you. Its going to be a good year.