Best website or books on repairing RVs

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
gypsygirl

Best website or books on repairing RVs

Post by gypsygirl » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 am

I am a newbie and want to repair our 1992-3 Hitchhiker II fifth wheel. It has water damage to one area, but the rest of the camper is in great shape. I want sites or books that tell the best products to replace bad spots in the camper. Also I want to remodel some and make it look more like a house instead of a camper. Any suggestions of sites or books would be appreciated.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Best website or books on repairing RVs

Post by techman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:42 am

I am sorry that I do not know any books or websites besides my own blog which shows a bit of the work I did along the way on repairing my three campers myself. I have the old survival truck camper which I did first. I repaired a bunch of water damage in the cab over bed part and replaced the whole bed with some framing and new insulation. You can start reading about my repairs here: http://www.thediyworld.com/blog/?cat=78&paged=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I then got a free 32 foot camper and repaired extensive damages to the whole thing from front to back. I also have a lot of videos on my youtube channel showing how I did the work along the way. Here is my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/techman2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then I got my RV which had some water damage but was in better shape and better insulated than the camper.

I had to redo some flooring, some walls and the whole complete plumbing on the RV. It is still a work on progress but you can see a lot of the work on the videos I listed above.

I am sorry but you may have to do a bit of browsing to see the parts that interest you because I have a lot of videos up.

I would also be very much happy to help you right here with any questions you may have along the way.

My best advice is to just dig in. I found the 2x2 framing for my camper at Lowes and Home Depot. You can use any thin materials for paneling. Styrofoam or fiberglass insulation are good for replacing any damage insulation in the walls. Remove any wet, filthy or rotting insulation and wood as you go and replace it all. I also bleached the exposed good wood before closing it all up with new materials.

Hope this helps a bit.