Upgrading camper

Discussions about Camper, Trailer and RV repair.
Jag

Upgrading camper

Post by Jag » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 am

Hi! I have a 1985 Holiday Rambler that's in decent condition. However, I take some parrots with me camping, and you can hear them some outside the camper when the windows are closed. So I was wondering if putting in new insulation would help with the noise. I hate to tear all the walls down (the whole camper is original) to do it, though. Also, it's on a permanent spot, and I'd like to add a florida room or something to it, but I don't know if that's something I'd need to hire someone to do.

Thank you!

techman
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading camper

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm

If you are on a permanent spot, maybe something like my diy solar porch would help. You can see my porch online on my daily videos.

If you can build an enclosed frame around your camper then it would help eliminate noise and also keep the camper cooler in summer.

Another option is to build a small room outside the camper, maybe attached somehow, with heavy insulation. The thicker the better.

Other than that, you are stuck without a full rebuild of the camper.

bigtime2278

Post by bigtime2278 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 pm

thx but what about on the inside if we just got it how to check everything. like the gas lines. :D :D :D

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 pm

On gas lines you can use a spray bottle with soapy water in it. Spray all connections and see if you get bubbles. Bubbles mean a leak.

I use the smell test too. Open the gas valve and wait a few minutes then go around smelling for gas leaks. It stinks something horrible and that is intentional so you can detect leaks.

If you smell gas then do the soapy water test to find the leak.

Keep all fire, electricity and open flames out of the RV while testing. I often leave the gas on for a day or so when I first test a new one for gas leaks. Keep smelling all the joints and access panels where gas may be.

If after a few days you smell nothing then its probably safe to use.