Alum battery (convert lead acid)

Post anything about batteries here. Lead acid, rechargeable, whatever.
rfnreynders

Alum battery (convert lead acid)

Post by rfnreynders » Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 am

Hi,

John bedini, created alum battery's by converting old lead acid batterys. I did the same and it works great.

Take an old battery. Make sure the cells aren't shorted out.
Rinse them out with deminerelised water. (boil it before putting it in the cell. This will help desolve the sulphates on the plates.
ONce emty'd out, make a sulution of alum. (this is food grade alum, or Aluminium Sulphate)
Take 1 liter deminerelised water. Dissolve 200 grams of the alum in this water and fill your battery with it.
Then put your battery through multiple charge/discharge cycles. The more you use the battery , the stronger it gets.

I build a charger i call the RE-EMF charger Which is perfect for se-sulphating and charging these kind of battery's.
The effect on the battery's is amazing. You can find this on my youtube page ( EMC4U2).

greetz.

Rene Reijnders / EMC4U2

:D

techman
Site Admin

Re: Alum battery (convert lead acid)

Post by techman » Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 am

You got me hooked on Bedini's alum battery conversion. I spent the whole night last night studying his material and videos. Amazing stuff.

I am going out to get some alum today, if I can find it.

From what i have studied, it is the alum used to make pickles, to keep them crisp. It is also found in some deoderants.

I cant wait to try this out on some of my old, dead batteries.

From my studies, you can run these down to 0 volts with no damage. They take a lot of abuse and have a longer life than normal lead acid batteries.

rfnreynders

Post by rfnreynders » Sun May 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Techman, your correct.

You can really abuse the batery's with alum. Run them down to 0 volts without harm. You can't (almost) overcharge them. They handle a lot !
And the lead wont get eaten bye acid like in normal lead acid battery's so the lifespan is tremendous !.

Using a charger like bedini style increases the power of the battery in time. So it gets stronger and NOT weaker. Aint that cool !!

So i decided to make a charger that does charge and makes the battery stronger. Hence the RE-EMF charger. Mentioned above..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKa4zneaRQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you get into this you'll be very very happy, i know for sure !!!

grtz,

Rene Reijnders

hi_tech_guy_18

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:01 pm

I got to try some of this stuff when I mod my PC's UPS with Much Larger Lead Acid Cell battery's (to Replace the 2x 12V Gel Packs that it likes killing after a year - gel drys out and the plates get hot )
Alum aluminium potassium sulphate www .amazon.co.uk/Alum-aluminium-potassium-sulphate-250g/dp/B0045QPE4W/
I can get hold of Dry Charge Fill Battery's (empty) 7AH Upto 150AH

I wounder if to do with each time you recharge it it loses some of the water to make a Thicker Electrolyte and reshapes the Crystals is to why they get stronger

rfnreynders

Post by rfnreynders » Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 am

When charging and discharging, it pushes the water out and sucks the water back in the crystals. So yes, there might be occurring some shaping there. who knows.

When forming just with alum, the standing voltage is a little lower. When it had acid in there before and formed with acid, it seems to have a slightly higher standing voltage. Or that might be due to the acid residu.

I was even thinking of mixing a little acid with alum in the next try. I believe the acid will be absorbed in the alum crystals and will no longer harm the plates... Just thoughts...

Rene

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon May 20, 2013 10:56 am

I would not mess with the acid. I believe John is pretty good at what he does and has a lot more knowledge than most people about the chemistry of the batteries and the radiant energy.

I was thinking about using an extra cell to bring the voltage back up into a normal range. My solar charge controller and some power inverters would have trouble with this setup with a lower voltage.

Sadly my truck broke down 20 miles away from home yesterday and I am stuck here in the forest with now way to get my alum and get started. Argh.

rfnreynders

Post by rfnreynders » Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Haha. Nature keeps you locked down then..
In time you will be able to get some alum and test.

I will try to build a battery from scrap and use 7 cells instead of 6. Or even an alternate setup i will disclose if it works.

Rene

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

I would like to see some real world test data, a discharge test for capacity of 12v batteries that are the same other than one is altered to aluminum. While it appears to be possible, I'm very curious if it's worth while. Is there a reason to do it other than "it can be done"?
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Dave the reason is that you can abuse these batteries unlike with lead acid batteries. Drain a lead acid battery too low and it is sometimes permanently damaged. With the lead alum battery you can draw it all the way down to 0 volts repeatedly with no damage.

Also lead acid batteries degrade with time. Lead alum batteries do not as far as I understand.

I am thinking of long term battery life. My biggest concern has always been what happens when the shtf and your batteries degrade after just a few years. All those vehicles sitting around, all the batteries in the auto shops, they would all be dead.

With the alum you can take apart a dead lead acid battery and make a brand new, working battery with it.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Rene,

I got my truck fixed, just waiting for a check to clear so I can get some alum. I was studying more and found that photographers alum is way cheaper.

I also found some alum in the plant section of most hardware stores, but it may have a different chemistry.

Any ideas?

Also, I was wondering why John takes batteries apart when you have a perfectly good working battery with case and all right in front of you in the first place. Unless he is doing it just for demonstration purposes.

I have a couple high end batteries that dried out. The cases are also cracked open so they could never again be used normally. I may take these apart to make lead alum batteries. Got them free a few months ago and was going to take them in for scrap. Now I might be happy I never did.