Arizona Wind & Sun Solar Charger

Post anything about batteries here. Lead acid, rechargeable, whatever.
Dave Thacker

Arizona Wind & Sun Solar Charger

Post by Dave Thacker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 am

From video: [yt]<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PKvPQ8Ci7i ... jM6f4J-nsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><\[/yt]

[code}[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKvPQ8Ci ... jM6f4J-nsg[/ty][/code]

(I couldn't get the video to show up using bb code, I had the code /code commands at one time also??)

Your amp meter is really a volt meter that is measuring the voltage drop across a shunt (resister). The greater the current, the greaer the voltage drop, the greater the measurement. I notice that your concerned about the meter as it nears full reading. A better way to consider setting this up is so the a momentary contact switch is used to attached one of the leads to one end of the shunt. This way the meter is never reading unless your pushing the button. That way, if you happen to be charging at 40 amps, if you see the needle slam. you can just let off the button. No ongoing loads to burn out your meter.

Obviously, the very best solution is a meter and shunt of higher value, something capable of 100 amps (in excess of any expectation) would be the best solution. Short of that, you should be able to do a little study and get a shunt that will read out 1/2 on the meter and you'll just double the number to get your reading.

Noticing your volt meter, you can also set that up on a momentary switch so your not burning up capacity holding it lit 24/7. I notice those are available complete with shunt as current meters on Ebay. Then you can have two matching outputs to build into a professionally looking project box.

Additionally, your charge controller is for the purpose properly controlling your charging. You don't ever have to worry about that now. Just let it go. The blinking phase at the end is probably a desulfation phase. Toss that Harbor Freight piece of junk out the truck window, I recommend a speed at least 60 mph and use a bridge abutment as a target. It should recycle it into it's component parts effectively. (just kidding readers, don't litter).

Dave
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

techman
Site Admin

Re: Arizona Wind & Sun Solar Charger

Post by techman » Mon May 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Hey Dave, thanks for all the input.

I have since taken off the amp meter. The little volt meter does not use much current so I decided to leave it on all the time. It was on a switch, but I never shut it off. I look at it too much. I am going to re install it soon.

Yeah, funny about the HF charge controller. I actually gave it a thought, hehe.

I will keep it for its multiple output ports for my survival camper. Nice to have various outputs for different devices.

Lucky123

Post by Lucky123 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:59 am

you should be able to do a little study and get a shunt that will read out 1/2 on the meter and you'll just double the number to get your reading.
SABer*

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Well, I am back in business and back to my Off Grid Project. Also back on the forum. I was paying per MB in Australia and had no free bandwidth for this sadly.

Its going to be a great year.