Charging curve for Bedini Alkaline conversion

Post anything about batteries here. Lead acid, rechargeable, whatever.
DumbAssMusician

Charging curve for Bedini Alkaline conversion

Post by DumbAssMusician » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:12 am

Hi, I am just about to perform a bedini alkaline battery conversion on 8 x Trojan T-105 batteries, I am trying to find out the charging curves so the service technician can make adjustments to the inverter charger, any ideas? ALl the googling I have done only points me in the direction of AA batteries. Thanks in advance

techman
Site Admin

Re: Charging curve for Bedini Alkaline conversion

Post by techman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 pm

I dont know what you mean about AA batteries.

I have read and studied the Bedini battery conversion quite a bit and have even tried it once. But the problem I encountered is that the battery voltage will be much lower than a standard 12 volt lead acid battery. Something like 11.5 volts total when fully charged. I forget the individual cell voltage but the total voltage is lower.

My suggestion is to just do the conversion and then charge the batteries using a standard plug in battery charger. Do a few charge and discharge cycles and see what you get for results like that.

Then measure the charged and discharged voltages and there you have your numbers.

I think that each battery type will react a bit differently and it may even depend on the chemistry of your individual mixture.

Best way is to do it and measure your own batteries as I said.

Let us know how it goes for you though.

DumbAssMusician

Post by DumbAssMusician » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:10 pm

The problem is that I sold my old trojan batteries (about 12 months old) and my old victron multiplus to an old boy up the rd as a starter kit for solar as he bought 16 panels cheap earlier this year. I have the victron getting sent to the service agent so he can adjust the settings on the multiplus to suit the bedini conversion rather than lead acid.

When I Google charging curves of alkaline batteries all the info seems to be for AA batteries and nothing bigger.

I do understand that the voltage will be lower and this is also why I have sent the unit to service agent so he can adjust the low cut off to suit, I have seen over 12v on a standard car battery conversion and it was why I decided to do this with the trojans, also that I think the old boy, as a novice, will benefit from the no memory effect of the alkaline conversion as I think he, as other noobs... Will expect more from the system than what reality is, ie. Large fridge and going a bit silly thinking it is same as mains. I have explained the limitations but from experience... Hardly anyone listens

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:32 pm

I am hoping to get my porch and shed finished before the snow hits this winter. If I am successful in my task, then I will have an electronics lab built out there.

I will be able to get back into all my electronics projects including the bedini battery conversion. I cant wait.

Let me know how your conversion goes.