Battery woes

Post anything about batteries here. Lead acid, rechargeable, whatever.
salan3

Re: Battery woes

Post by salan3 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:41 am

We are well behind on your vids. (Up to April 2014). The interesting thing is in them you are saying about how the temp affect the battery performance.
On a scooter, it's a killer!
Everyone who lives 'off grid' has there lives revolving around batteries. what do people see as an alternative way of doing things?
Heat? light?
communications?
It's easy to say lighting, well just use oil lamps or such like, but they have problems too.(moisture, smell, particulate matter).
Are there any followers from colder climates?
What is you solution to cold batteries and them loosing capacity big time?
Alan

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 am

I can tell you that for one thing you can insulate batteries for winter use and they will stay warmer. But in your situation that will not help. I am not sure if lithium would help you any because my camera battery was always weaker outside this winter.

All I can advise it to keep your scooter or batteries inside until you need to use them.

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri May 29, 2015 3:07 am

Hi I am only 13 and for me it's really late at night so my spelling/grammar may be bad. I have Ben making a battery for my electric Bike and I have a cheap way of doing so. I go on eBay or amazon and type in Lot of laptop batteries. Then I find a lot of used or new laptop batteries that are about 2$ per battery. Then when they get to your house get out some tools so that you can break them open. For 20 laptop batteries it takes me about 3 hours to brake them all open. Inside you will find some batteries that look like big AA batteries. You will get some that will look like little ice cream bars. You will need the 18650 batteries (The ones that look like large AA batteries.) then you go on eBay and search 18650 charger. You will see hundreds of chargers that come with batteries. DON'T GET THOSE they are rip offs. Just get about 5-10 of the cheapest ones there. Then search IMAX B6 charger. This is a battery charger that has a ability to discharge the 18650s. After you charge all of your batteries then discharge them one by one and record how many mAh they have. From this point on watch this video by my friend. He made an electric bike battery from this method. http://youtu.be/Rjr2LKmhdVw - Michael

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 pm

13.5 is good for a 12 volt battery.