Troy's new batteries

Post anything about batteries here. Lead acid, rechargeable, whatever.
Zelturo

Troy's new batteries

Post by Zelturo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am

Hello troy I just watched your new video and I beleive the batteries that you found atthe scrap yard are Gel bateries I just wanted to make shure that you were aware of that if they are gel the charging cycle is defferent

Gel batteries are getting charge differently then led acid liquid. Most charge controler are made to charge both type but you need to switch a jumper are something in you controler....

Again If you have any question concerning those batteries you can give me a shout. You have my phone number in an email I sent you previously.

Also I would like to send you some 4Ga cable as a gift but i cant since I dont have youre address. I see you openning package from ppl all the times but how did those ppl get your address cause i shure can find it ....

Have a nice Day

Zelturo

techman
Site Admin

Re: Troy's new batteries

Post by techman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:36 am

Hi,

I was swamped with emails for a while there and got behind. If you want, please send me an email again. info@thediyworld.com

I had over 1,000 emails to sort through and lost track in Oct and early November. It got out of hand. Sorry.

I thought the batteries were lead acid but since they are sealed, I cannot test or check them. Gel is a good thing. I plan to run them on the Bedini motor one day and desulfate them. They will probably give me a long life then.

Zelturo

Post by Zelturo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:24 pm

If those battery are gel they dont have the same charge cycle then led acid and you cant mix and match

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:38 pm

I have no way of knowing for now. I will try to look them up online. I plan to recondition them with the Bedini motor which is very gentle and then later use them as backup batteries.

Isaacs

Post by Isaacs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 am

Just wondering if you thought about tying in the dc generator like a PV panel, or if there is a 12v generator hookup on your charge controller to provide more power for your controller to " do its thing " with your current battery bank. I am NOT an electrician by any stretch of the imagination. However, shouldn't DC power from the PV be the same as DC power from an alternator. I thought you mentioned you get 10 hours run, not sure, on a gallon of gas. 10 hours @ 100 Amps for a gallon of gas seems reasonable to me. But I don't know much about your setup, charger, etc. Don't get me wrong here just making suggestions, outside the box so to speak. This is just a thought, it may help. However, as stated above I am not an electrician, this idea is merely a thought I had. If you attempt to try this complete extensive research before starting.

I recall seeing someone recondition an old battery bank using the 110 charger built in to the charge controller, the one they had was Xantrex I think. It had to be programmed to not pull mor ethan 15 Amps from the 110 source but it worked over some time. Just thought The same idea only with DC voltage and amperage might work for you in your situation.

I'll see if I can find the video and post it here later.

good luck.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 am

The DC generator can produce about 80 to 100 amps. The charge controller is rated at 60 amps. I hate to risk it really. I might just get a cheap PWM charge controller off ebay that can handle the 100 amps from a car alternator and use that.

bjorndethij

Post by bjorndethij » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 pm

'sealed lead acid batteries' are servicable. You can take a knife or screwdriver and pry up on the top of the battery (You should be able to see an outline of some sort of cover). When you have removed the cover you can see filler ports. :D

I did this to a battery who had no cappacity left and filled it back up with demineralised water and put it on the charger for a day.

And it works again 8-)

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyRPfQIc0T4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:39 pm

I think you got very lucky with that battery . Usually they are badly sulfated. Probably would not hurt to desulfate it anyway for better life. But pretty cool that you pulled it off.