News : Battery boost from coated silicon

Post anything about batteries here. Lead acid, rechargeable, whatever.
hi_tech_guy_18

News : Battery boost from coated silicon

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:00 am

Battery boost from coated silicon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24652659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phone batteries that recharge in minutes and last for weeks could result from work on silicon super-capacitors.

Created by American scientists, the components exploit properties of carefully engineered silicon slices to hold and quickly deliver a charge.

Renewable energy sources could also benefit from the work on the cheaper super-capacitors.

The silicon components should be easy to add to existing chip-production systems, said the researchers.
Solar storage

Super-capacitors built from carbon are already used as energy storage systems in electric vehicles and in wind turbines to ensure blades turn smoothly, but their bulk and cost have limited them to these niche applications.

Scientists in the engineering department at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee tested different materials to see if they could be used to reduce the cost and size of these super-capacitors.

Silicon became a good candidate when the Vanderbilt team found a way to apply a coat of graphene that was only a few nanometres thick. This coating was needed to stop the silicon reacting with the chemicals that provide the ions used to store an electrical charge.

The team, headed by engineering professor Cary Pint, used porous silicon in their research because the method of etching billions of tiny pits on to the material is well established. All those nano-scale features give the material a huge surface area relative to its size and help it store a significant electrical charge.

Writing in a paper in the journal Nature, the scientists explained how the coating bestowed on the silicon properties similar to those seen in commercial super-capacitors. It allows them to dispense their stored power quickly and last much longer than current re-chargeable batteries.

The team is now looking into ways to integrate the coated silicon into existing manufacturing processes so the super-capacitors can be more widely used in gadgets such as phones.

One of the first applications of the work could be as a storage system for solar power plants. Super-capacitors on the rear of solar cells could store power as it is collected and then dispense it during the night when demand grows.

"All the things that define us in a modern environment require electricity," said Prof Pint. "The more that we can integrate power storage into existing materials and devices, the more compact and efficient they will become."

techman
Site Admin

Re: News : Battery boost from coated silicon

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

It would be nice to have rugged, reliable and long life storage for solar power systems. The weakest part of any solar system, off the grid that is, is the battery bank.

I wonder how expensive these will be though.

Thanks for the article.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 am

we often use forklift truck battery's on yachts here in holland , there a lot cheaper than the original solar battery's , and when using the rigt (higher) loading voltages the work fine for years, the achilles heel of a solar instalation is the battery's , the bigger the better, in some days you have solar power to burn , other days you are short , the bigger the batterybank, the less the feel it if you drain power, and the more power you have available, the bigger the batterybank , the better!

be aware that you connect the battery's oposite, do not put them in parralel and only connect the line to one off the battery's, the positive lead on one side of the bank, the negative on tje other , thus using all battery's equally!, thats most inportant!. ;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 pm

I could have had one of those massive batteries for only $300 once but I had no way to get it off the truck if I took it home.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:43 am

:o i would have build a hoist, use a rope and used some trees, other way is to unload te battery's part by part, would have been a lot better as the battery's you have now Troy!, if you live offgrid you have to be inventive! :lol:

;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

hi_tech_guy_18

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Them industrial solar deep cycle are huge

Code: Select all

http://www.altestore.com/store/Deep-Cycle-Batteries/Batteries-Flooded-Lead-Acid/Surrette-Batteries-12-Cs-11Ps-12V-357Ah-20Hr-Flood-L-Acd/p1636/ 
You can make a Wood A Frame lift
- Use Mortise and tenon joints

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon

with one of them 12V 4x4 Winch's
POWERFUL 6000 LB 12V 6000LB ELECTRIC WINCH

http://www.amazon.co.uk/POWERFUL-6000-6000LB-ELECTRIC-WINCH/dp/B002BPHWKS/ 
and a pair of Edelrid Double Rope Pulley Titanium

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Double-Rope-Pulley-Titanium/dp/B004124B80/ 

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 pm

mr bugsier5 wrote::o i would have build a hoist, use a rope and used some trees, other way is to unload te battery's part by part, would have been a lot better as the battery's you have now Troy!, if you live offgrid you have to be inventive! :lol:

;)
Yeah, yeah I know :)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi tech guy

Now you got me thinking. I need to build one of those anyway for all the jobs I have around here. Thanks for posting.