Hydrogen Booster project

Fuel savings and tuning experiments
techman
Site Admin

Re: Hydrogen Booster project

Post by techman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 am

ayeawhoo wrote:Will the unit as it described here produce enough hydrogen to do a significant boost on a 18 wheeler diesel engine or does it have to be enlarged.

Red

You could use two or three of these combined to get a performance boost on a larger truck like that. But it has been done.

ayeawhoo

Post by ayeawhoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm

techman wrote:
ayeawhoo wrote:Will the unit as it described here produce enough hydrogen to do a significant boost on a 18 wheeler diesel engine or does it have to be enlarged.

Red

You could use two or three of these combined to get a performance boost on a larger truck like that. But it has been done.
It is actually a truck conversion motor home so there is not a great performance issue as far as weight goes. In other words less than 40K VS 80K . Is it safe to assume that 2 of the units would handle the job well? I am very mechanical but I just dont have time to put these together and test them. I see it taking less than an hour to install in my particular case. so I will be ordering 2 if you think they will do the job.

Red

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am

You can certainly try two of them. It should make some difference. It is not really the quantity of gas that causes a better burn, but rather the effect of the hydroxy gas exploding before the fuel/air mixture, which causes a better burn.

Depending on the year of your engine, you may need to tune it a bit. If it is fuel injected, then you will need an electronic fuel injector enhancer to modify the signals going to the computer.

If it has a simple carb, then it is just a matter of adjusting the timing a bit (advanced) and tweaking the fuel/air mixtures to get the best mileage.

ayeawhoo

Post by ayeawhoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm

techman wrote:You can certainly try two of them. It should make some difference. It is not really the quantity of gas that causes a better burn, but rather the effect of the hydroxy gas exploding before the fuel/air mixture, which causes a better burn.

Depending on the year of your engine, you may need to tune it a bit. If it is fuel injected, then you will need an electronic fuel injector enhancer to modify the signals going to the computer.

If it has a simple carb, then it is just a matter of adjusting the timing a bit (advanced) and tweaking the fuel/air mixtures to get the best mileage.

The engine in the truck conversion motor home is a 1985 Cummins big cam 400,14 Liter, 855 CID turbocharged . They didn't have computers.It is fuel injected as all diesel engines are. so will I still need the EFIE?

If I put one of these on a 93 ford with a 5.1 liter with fuel injection am I going to need an electronic fuel injector enhancer? ( what ever that is)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:30 pm

I am not an expert on diesel engines, so I am not sure if there is a computer that controls the ignition. If there is an on board computer, then yes, you need to modify the signals.

For your standard FI engine, yes, you need an EFIE (electronic fuel injector enhancer). Google it and you can find stores who sell them. They are relatively easy to install, requiring a wire to be spliced into the O2 sensor wire.

ayeawhoo

Post by ayeawhoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:32 pm

techman wrote:I am not an expert on diesel engines, so I am not sure if there is a computer that controls the ignition. If there is an on board computer, then yes, you need to modify the signals.

For your standard FI engine, yes, you need an EFIE (electronic fuel injector enhancer). Google it and you can find stores who sell them. They are relatively easy to install, requiring a wire to be spliced into the O2 sensor wire.
Ok and thanks. The diesel has no computer of any kind ( thank God) it is totally old school diesel. The only two things that electrical does on the older diesel engines is to open or close the fuel solenoid when you want to start or stop the engine and turn the starter. Wouldn't it be nice if things were so simple today.

On a over the road truck that runs 100-180,000 miles a year I can see where this would be great . We only run 3-4000 miles a year and on the van even less than that. so I guess I need to kick it around some. I really like the idea and may go with it just to say I have one. If I can get a 25% MPG increase in the van I would be a happy feller.

Thanks again for your help.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm

No problem. Happy to help. Please feel free to ask questions as you progress and share your experience.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Hmm. To be honest, Gas and Diesel engines are like comparing a weed wackier motor that uses a mixture to a lawn more engine.
As you know Diesel engines use Glow plugs Where as the Gas engines actually use a spark plug. I would be very wary of trying this in a Diesel.

I would be more prone to using recycled and refined "Food Oils".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djFVQNqCC9E

ayeawhoo

Post by ayeawhoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Solar98632 wrote:Hmm. To be honest, Gas and Diesel engines are like comparing a weed wackier motor that uses a mixture to a lawn more engine.
As you know Diesel engines use Glow plugs Where as the Gas engines actually use a spark plug. I would be very wary of trying this in a Diesel.

I would be more prone to using recycled and refined "Food Oils".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djFVQNqCC9E

Glow plugs are only used to start cold engines. I have owned 14 big rigs and never had one with glow plugs. I think ( not sure) that they were mostly used with smaller pickup truck and equipment engines.

Diesel is ignited by compression whereas gas is ignited by a spark. There is no problem using this with diesel as far as I can see but it will not ignite until the diesel ignites. IMHO it should be injected soon after the turbo but not before.

No alkaline bio fuel in my engine. If you are going to use home made bio fuel you need to change all of your pump and injector seals. That stuff is very caustic. Store bought not so much but still not good for you engine UNLESS you engine was specifically designed to run on bio fuel.

oshirtguy

Post by oshirtguy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 pm

techman wrote:Hi,

You basically need to hook up the booster through a relay switch to automatically shut it off when the car ignition is turned off. I did this through a wire to the fuse box under the hood and a relay right next to it. To make it manual as well, so you can shut it off from inside the car, hook up a toggle switch to the relay.

The electronic ignition controls get a bit more complicated..

A web page showing the detailed electronics wiring will be posted to The DIY World soon. Check back and watch for it.
was the details about the electronics and wiring posted on the DIY World because i cannot find it, the comments here have helped i just want to be sure that i have it right so not to blow my car
thanks for your responses

-oshirtguy-