Surviving the heat off grid

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
gundog4314

Surviving the heat off grid

Post by gundog4314 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I know how those aluminum and plywood boxes called RV's/Trailers soak up all the heat a summer can dish out. The same went for our vehicles and tents in the middle east. One thing we did was build a grid over the roof (which you have already started by the way) and we stretched canvass across it and as tight as possible (we used ratchet straps, cheap motorcycle ones would work), to "catch" the suns rays before it directly hit the roof of whatever we happened to be living in. If you have at least a 12 inch gap the air flow will help dissipate the heat making it substantially cooler inside the trailer. also the more canvass or sunscreen like on the new RV you are acquiring on the south side will also reduce heat inside the dwelling. A south facing wall of sandbags would be even better, but that would be an awful lot of work.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Surviving the heat off grid

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:59 pm

I was going to completely cover my camper with a roof this summer. But then I got my RV which changed everything. I have discovered that a little bit of sun helps keep the humidity down and the mildew away.

This summer taught me a lot by having a camper in the full shade and the RV in the partial sun.

Now if I can figure a way to make something like this adjustable, I am hooked up.