Welcome to the new chat room

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
nimeny

Re: Welcome to the new chat room

Post by nimeny » Fri May 29, 2015 8:45 am

hi troy. time to try something new, commenting here (thetube makes my teeth hurt!). concerning using cardboard on the walkways of your of grid place, instead of using cardboard, try carpet. old carpet turned upside down works very well for keeping weeds out, moisture in, doesn't fall apart like cardboard and easy to walk on. best of all, old carpet is all over the place. cut a strip, lay it down, should last a good long time. as a side, chickens love to eat what crawls underneath, pull up carpet, let them go to town. they will love you for it.
thanx for taking the time to read this.
nim

Godsreel

Post by Godsreel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:41 am

Hi Troy,

I just want to say Hi, I have been watching you for some time now. back when you were in the RV, I was so interested but i had to stop watching because the movement of the camera made me sick.

Over the last 6 months or so i have been watching again and must say Thank you for fixing the camera issue!

My Wife and I just bought a Park Model RV 12'x35' 400 sq feet not counting the loft. we have in in a mobile home park in Portland, OR. we love living in our tiny house and are still trying to get rid of Junk that we have collected over the years.

You give me lots of ideas to use at my home so I thank you for that. and hope sometime soon I can contribute somehow to the DIY World.

Do you have a list of things you always need, or want, So if someone wanted to send you something, we could actually send you something you are in need of?

Keep up the awesome work! and God Bless!
-Chuck

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:08 pm

nimeny wrote:hi troy. time to try something new, commenting here (thetube makes my teeth hurt!). concerning using cardboard on the walkways of your of grid place, instead of using cardboard, try carpet. old carpet turned upside down works very well for keeping weeds out, moisture in, doesn't fall apart like cardboard and easy to walk on. best of all, old carpet is all over the place. cut a strip, lay it down, should last a good long time. as a side, chickens love to eat what crawls underneath, pull up carpet, let them go to town. they will love you for it.
thanx for taking the time to read this.
nim
Thank you for the idea. I did try carpet a bit a couple years ago and you are right. The stuff never breaks down. If i can find some and get it home I could use it. For now though I am using what I can find - cardboard. It does blow away in the wind if I dont get it covered in time though and carpet would not.

My only concern with anything is what chemicals am I adding to the ground when I use the material

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Godsreel wrote:Hi Troy,

I just want to say Hi, I have been watching you for some time now. back when you were in the RV, I was so interested but i had to stop watching because the movement of the camera made me sick.

Over the last 6 months or so i have been watching again and must say Thank you for fixing the camera issue!

My Wife and I just bought a Park Model RV 12'x35' 400 sq feet not counting the loft. we have in in a mobile home park in Portland, OR. we love living in our tiny house and are still trying to get rid of Junk that we have collected over the years.

You give me lots of ideas to use at my home so I thank you for that. and hope sometime soon I can contribute somehow to the DIY World.

Do you have a list of things you always need, or want, So if someone wanted to send you something, we could actually send you something you are in need of?

Keep up the awesome work! and God Bless!
-Chuck
Hi,

I hope you get this message. I am currently in between emails on my servers. I am still working a lot in the background on the server change over so my email is not working.

I have no list of things that I need. It is hard for me to think of things on the spot as well. If you see a need in a video then you can contact me about it as things go but I am not good at thinking of needs like that.

Happy to hear that I have inspired you.

I am also happy that the new camera is better for you. I used what I had back then and have moved on to some better equipment with time. I hope to keep improving my recording quality as time goes by.

Thanks for watching.

Chispy

Post by Chispy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Good evening , Troy. I live in Puerto Rico.. Thanks for letting me be part of this forum. I have a small solar system. (100 watt Renogy solar panel , 4 batteries 12 v 93 ah each, a 30 amp PWM charge controller and a 1000 w inverter). The solar panel is working well but after watching your videos I believe I have to increase the amount of panel , what do you suuggest?

KC8ERI

Post by KC8ERI » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Congratulations on the purchase Troy.
Tons of stress is gone after finally closing on a prioerty.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:05 am

Chispy wrote:Good evening , Troy. I live in Puerto Rico.. Thanks for letting me be part of this forum. I have a small solar system. (100 watt Renogy solar panel , 4 batteries 12 v 93 ah each, a 30 amp PWM charge controller and a 1000 w inverter). The solar panel is working well but after watching your videos I believe I have to increase the amount of panel , what do you suuggest?

The size of your solar power system depends mostly on your own needs. You could certainly use more solar panels. You have a decent amount of storage and a good sized charge controller. So I would go with more solar panels. This will allow you to use more power each day and charge those batteries back up fully.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:07 am

KC8ERI wrote:Congratulations on the purchase Troy.
Tons of stress is gone after finally closing on a prioerty.
Yes, thank you very much. It was very stressful because my YT enemies kept trying to get me kicked out of the property the whole time I was dealing with the contract. Took a year to close the deal finally. I will do a video on the details of how it all came to be. Leaving out personal stuff of course.

KC8ERI

Post by KC8ERI » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:29 pm

With your pwm setup you should have those panels closer to the house for 2 reasons. One so you have less loss from such a long run, and 2 so you save money on the copper. Let the series mppt have the farther away panels since you can take advantage of the higher voltages on that one.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm

I do plan to swap solar panel sets and have the PWM connected to the ones by the house and the MPPT to the ones by the RV. I will also connect the other set out in the meadow for more power.